Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saving enough for airline tickets and expenses?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Hetfield

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Saving enough for airline tickets and expenses? Reply with quote

I'm considering teaching in Peru, but Daves posts are unclear: Some say saving is impossible. How can you make enough money to pay for airline tickets and living expenses?

Latin American Daves posts complain they cannot save anything in Argentina, Brazil, Peru, Paraguay, etc: "I cannot save money in Argentina so I'm moving to Peru!" Other post: "I cannot save in Peru so I'm moving to Argentina!"

I'm aleady living on sawdust. Need to teach where I could at least save enough for airline tickets and living expenses. With Bachelors, TEFL and 2 years experience, I should be able to save that much in Peru? Right?

Hoping Naturegirl can offer expert advice! Razz
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Saving enough for airline tickets and expenses? Reply with quote

James Hetfield wrote:
I'm considering teaching in Peru, but Daves posts are unclear: Some say saving is impossible. How can you make enough money to pay for airline tickets and living expenses?
Latin American Daves posts complain they cannot save anything in Argentina, Brazil, Peru, Paraguay, etc: "I cannot save money in Argentina so I'm moving to Peru!" Other post: "I cannot save in Peru so I'm moving to Argentina!"
I'm aleady living on sawdust. Need to teach where I could at least save enough for airline tickets and living expenses. With Bachelors, TEFL and 2 years experience, I should be able to save that much in Peru? Right?
Hoping Naturegirl can offer expert advice! Razz

Yep, of course I can.. Here's the thing, depending on the person, there are people who can't save anywhere. It doesn't have that much to do with the salary as it does with the person.

Basics about Peru. teaching in institutes, good ones, you can get 10 dollars an hour. Visas are impossible from institutes. If they promise you one, watch out. schools and some unis will get you visas, but not unis in Lima. Working under the table is pretty normal. You get 183 upon entry, if you ask for it. Then border hop and come back. Privates are from 10 to 20, this is in Lima, expect half this in the provinces.

Budgeting is what it's all about. In two years, we bought a 25K house, cash, then a 7K jeep and an 8K jeep, then sold one of the jeeps. then bought a 37K house. All cash, no credit, loans or mortage. Does this mean that we make a lot, no, not really, we just scrimped and saved, We don't really go out, I'd rather sleep. We work overtime and manage money well.

You could probably earn about 500, at least a month, maybe up to 1000, but you'll be working a lot, or you could luck out. If you could get group classes with five students and charge them 10 dollars, then that's 50 an hour. teach in your home a couple nights a week, with group classes and you're good to go. Make sure they pay up front though. Or the day of the lesson. If you want to know more about living in Peru, try www.theultimateperulist.blogspot.com

Living expense, again, depends on you. There are plenty of 600 dollar a month places, but if you're looking for something that's not too luxurious, we've never paid more than 150. There's articles about Peru on www.tefltips.blogspot.com

There are a couple of websites that you ahve to look at
www.expatperu.com
www.livinginperu.com

Another thing, TEFL certs don't matter. Native speaker, BA, that matters. If you're looking at Lima or Piura, let me know. I can recommend good places to work at. There's a couple institutes that pay 10 usd in Lima, and a uni in Piura that paid 700 usd a month, and that was nearly three years ago.

Fligths, another thing. Depends if you know where to buy them. www.kayak.com has the best deals. Depends when you buy. I got a 800 RT from Lima to Chicago in mid Dec to mid Jan. Looking last night, I found a 1100 from Lima to Seoul at the end of Feb.

Peru's good, but after four years, I've decided that my husband and I need a break from here before we have kids, so I'm dragging him halfway across the world, first time living outside his country. But he's up for it. I'll be here until Feb, If you come, we'll have a coffee.

Savings. We need about 900 dollars to live, but that includes saving 300 a month and 175 to fix up the house. Where you live will change your budget, before we only needed 500, because we spent less on transport and building fees. We make more than 900 dollars. So we save a third of the 900 and anything over that we save or use for the house. Laugh, but we have a strict budget, down to how much we can spend on going out, food, transport, etc. It's hard to get used to. I didn't like not being able to go shopping for clothes all the time, but you get used to it and it pays off. Not many people under 30 can say that they've owned two flats and two SUVs and have paid cash for all of them.

You can survive, if you couldn't peopel wouldn't be here. And you could live very very well on little money. You might not save too much, but you could live like a king. Maids are common, we pay ours about 7 dollars. They come once a week, there are two of them, and clean our place, top to bottom for four hours, and they get 7 dollars, total, not an hour, and that's good pay for Peru.

Like I said, look at the websites, if you're intersted in coming here, let me know, I know a lot about good schools. If you have questions, PM me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: