Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Before you hit SEND on that job application inquiry...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Before you hit SEND on that job application inquiry... Reply with quote

...you might want to consider a few things.

1) Proofread the darned email, including the subject line.

"application" is not spelled "appklication"

2) Say where you saw the ad and what position you are applying for. The institution may have more than one.

3) Read the advertisement carefully.

I don't care if you are a trilingual person who wants to teach math and chemistry. My school wants an English teacher.

4) Look at a map.

You say you want to commute from Tokyo, but to do that you'll have to hop on a plane for 1.5 to 2 hours one way.

5) Customize your cover letters. We can tell when you don't. The main tipoff is that you don't write the name of the person to whom you are addressing the mail. It was in the ad.

6) For goodness' sake, if you intend to shotgun an email to 28 sources at once, learn how to use the BCC function! It's embarrassing to see that you've sent a letter to a university, Interac, and eikaiwas (and to other places with just people's names in the email addresses), yet you only write in that form letter that you are interested in the "job at the school".

7) Make a sensible resume format. Be sure it's not filled to within 1/8 inch of the margins top, bottom and left/right, and that you use consistent font for fields of equal weight, and that you don't send a copy that gets cut off at the bottom so that only the upper half of the type shows.

Cool Don't copy/paste from other letters of inquiry. If you say something like you're interested in moving to China but the job is in Japan, it's a hint to the reader.

9) Don't include irrelevant information.

Reviewers really don't care how many pets you have, whether you won an archery/swimming/martial arts contest 3 years in a row, or what your spouse does for hobbies.

As you might suspect, I've just seen all of the above. Sigh.
mikefriend

Location: Sleep walking around the world. But don't wake me up, you might kill me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Glen. It's a great reminder for those of us contemplating a job change.
gaijinalways

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly enough, I've also worked with those types at a few places;

The Spanish teacher who teaches English

A drama teacher who taught using drama and French was ideal

A teacher who mostly 'taught' one on ones outside the classroom (while the rest of the class was wondering what the hell happened)

And teachers who thought their hobbies were their most exciting skills for teaching (regardless of how odd the hobbies)
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaijinalways,
I have nothing against someone without an English teaching background teaching English. Heck, that's me! My complaint is that the person above didn't even address the issue of an English teaching job and straight out said they wanted to teach math and chemistry.

As for hobbies, again, I have no real issue with what a person's interests are, but what's the point in telling me on a cover letter what your spouse's interests are? A whole paragraph worth, in fact!
gaijinalways

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, but some people continue these habits after they been given the job from a contact. In other words, I'm argueing some of these people shouldn't have been hired to begin with. Where do you think the 'edutainment' aspect comes from, Monkasho?

As to your own qualifications, your background is related to the kind of place you work at. It's just not related in a typical sense.
Speed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, great! You got my resume! Do I get the job?
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaijinalways wrote:
Exactly, but some people continue these habits after they been given the job from a contact. In other words, I'm argueing some of these people shouldn't have been hired to begin with. Where do you think the 'edutainment' aspect comes from, Monkasho?

I've always assumed that those ex-JETs or whoever gets a job at the Monkasho must a) have pretty good Japanese b) be able to stomach endless meetings conducted in Japanese c) be incredibly boring and as clean as the driven snow, and d) be complete Yes!-people generally. I doubt they would do anything to rock the boat by suggesting they have anything of value to add beyond upholding the edutainment consensus (because if they did, they'd soon be labelled as impertinent and presumptuous - that, and/or a crazy obstructive idealist at best); that is, the edutainment aspect is the most that Monkasho itself could've come up with or endorse. God forbid that an AET, a foreigner, should ever be seen as a professional with any sort of potentially valuable contribution to make regarding their language, and be deferred to in any matter, even matters linguistic, at all unconditionally (and before we get into a debate on "ownership", let's remember that Japan is most definitely an EFL as opposed to ELF or ESL country). Is Japanese face (ego?) just too delicate to succeed much at language learning or even at delegating foreign-language teaching duties and responsibility (but strong enough to never admit to these failings)? Maybe the social system cannae take it, Cap'n! (That's not to say that there aren't good Japanese Teachers of English around - I've met a fair number who are themselves capable of planning and running successful enough lessons - but they must be in the minority).
gaijinalways

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know Glenski is talking about hiring for university teaching, yes?

I was talking about uni instructors, not Jet hires.
Glenski

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffy,
I think you have pretty much taken this thread off topic with talk about JET ALTs.
gaijinalways

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mean, I know that Glenski teaches in a university nowadays, but it wasn't clear -

Sorry about that, but he was talking about resumes he was vetting for where he teaches, and since you knew where that was.....

Quote:
and if you (gaijinalways) really were, then why mention Monkasho?

Monkasho gives 50% of the money for budgets for private universities in Japan, 100% for public ones. Since the places we work at receive government money, Monkasho does have a lot to do with the way things are taught and sometimes a lot to do with hiring procedures as well.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Monkasho impose a prescribed course of study for English at university level? Just wondering. More to the point, is a gripe on Dave's about bad job applications going to eradicate the problem? Probably not.
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
is a gripe on Dave's about bad job applications going to eradicate the problem? Probably not.
Whoa! I rarely start posts, and now that I have, and it's a lot like a few others where someone shows what NOT to do when applying for a job, are you (fluffyhamster) trying to say that this post was not worth posting?

For shame.

The post was not about universities or JET or Monkasho.

It was about crappy things I saw on applications to jobs. How hard is it to stay on that topic?
gaijin4life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love your avatar fluffy !! Very Happy
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffy,
why even bother responding if this wasn't that much of a topic? Geez.

No kidding that my one little, dinky, whiny post won't stop all job hunters from making those insipid mistakes. Did you think I meant to do that? Again, geez.

Oh, and I'm not a job-hunting guru. I just got stuck with being the middleman this one time.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some off topic postings have been deleted. Future ones will result in sanctions for the members posting them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: