Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Doha - advice appreciated

View previous topic :: View next topic  
waunwenner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Teaching in Doha - advice appreciated Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm interested in teaching adults in Doha and would appreciate any advice you could offer me.

I'm a 30 year old (male) CELTA qualified teacher from the UK with about 6 years experience of teaching adults including 3 years at a Korean university. My current job is in New Zealand at a school which has recently been voted the best in the Southern Hemisphere and I absolutely love it...however....

My girlfriend works for Qatar Airways in Doha and I've decided to join her next year sometime. As long as I'm teaching adults in a reasonably professional, well-resourced school I'll probably be happy. From what I've read I take it that accommodation/flights and a reasonable income can be expected...is this accurate in your view?

Any specific recommendations for schools would be particularly appreciated but like I say, any help would be great. From what I've read about the Middle East it seems like a mixed bag regarding the quality of employers so a bit of inside info would be ideal.

Cheers for your help in advance,
Scott
lukey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Stay Away Reply with quote

You work at one of the best schools in the southern hemisphere and you love your job?My advice is to stay there. - unless you need the money don't come to qatar - i think you will be disappointed with jobs here - working for employers in the Gulf is very difficult. Maybe you girlfriend could get a job with New Zealand airways? I hear Qatar Airways is difficult to work for also, i knew a couple of "runners" who fled that outfit.
waunwenner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lukey.

But I'm definitely coming as I've already promised her so I could really do with a bit of advice on schools.

I'm only going to be there from March until December, when her contract finishes with Qatar Airways so I'm not bothered as long as the school isn't pure evil and I'm teaching adults.

She loves her job with Qatar Airways, by the way, so don't assume that it's a bad employer. Some people are just never happy and employees can often be as bad as employers.

Anyway, thanks again for the comment, it's more than the other 109 people who've read my post managed to do, but any more specific advice would be more appreciated. I say this as someone who hated Korea after a year of teaching there but after getting better jobs and employers I started to realise that there are excellent jobs in every country if you know where to find them. That's why I'm posting this message.

Cheers,
Scott
Mine's a pint

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now the count is up to 167 and there still isn't much that has been said. I have to admit I'm at a loss. So why respond? Because I think most ELTs in Doha work at colleges or universities on extended contracts of a few years. There is a British Council and a Berlitz, but I'm not too sure about the possibility of just going into the country to work for six months then leave again. I don't think you'd get hired for that.

The paperwork to get into the country once successfully interviewed and offered a job takes some time (health, security check, etc. etc.), but your qualifications would probably limit you to conversation schools - of which I have no knowledge in that particular location.

Then there's the bit about coming to be with your girlfriend. Unmarried couples are not the thing in the ME. You'd need to keep that private.

I think your aspirations are a little too casual for coming to that part of the world, but then that's perhaps because I've never encountered anyone who's doing, done or attempted to do it that way before.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What IS the penalty for cohabitation and immorality ?
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
All too often - marriage and parenthood.
Regards,
John
waunwenner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to live with her- she's got her own apartment and I'll get mine.

Immorality - well....define that...
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm interested in teaching adults in Doha and would appreciate any advice you could offer me.

Try QP - Qatar Petroluem - ongoing recruitment year round.

http://www.griffith.edu.au/griffith-english-language-institute/programs-courses/qatar-petroleum-project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: