Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding jobs in Ukraine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fost3r

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Finding jobs in Ukraine Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I just have a question about finding teaching jobs. My girlfriend and I have just completed graduate school and are both looking to get our PhD or Law degrees in the near future. Until then we were hoping to be able to both give a little back and hopefully gain an experience that adds to our ability to get into good PhD programs later on. We have seen many openings in China and Korea, but for me my focus in graduate school was Eurasia and Eastern Europe. Ideally I was thinking of teaching in Ukraine, and while I have experience as a substitute teacher, niether one of us is certified tesol. I am finding this to be a major problem in finding teaching jobs outside of China and Korea, where should I be looking for opportunities outside of these nations that don't require tesol.
torrentstorm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Finding jobs in Ukraine Reply with quote

Fost3r wrote:
Hi everyone, I just have a question about finding teaching jobs. My girlfriend and I have just completed graduate school and are both looking to get our PhD or Law degrees in the near future. Until then we were hoping to be able to both give a little back and hopefully gain an experience that adds to our ability to get into good PhD programs later on. We have seen many openings in China and Korea, but for me my focus in graduate school was Eurasia and Eastern Europe. Ideally I was thinking of teaching in Ukraine, and while I have experience as a substitute teacher, niether one of us is certified tesol. I am finding this to be a major problem in finding teaching jobs outside of China and Korea, where should I be looking for opportunities outside of these nations that don't require tesol.

Hi! Yes that is true, but you will find that if you have a degree and experience, sometimes they are willing to overlook your not having a TESOL or ESL or similar. Mostly, China makes exceptions, not so Korea. I have never been able to get a response from Korea.

In my case, I am PhD. in English Philology and in Spanish Linguistics, still interested in Ukraine too. I worked in Russia for 3 years, so I understand the culture. But from past experience, I am not hopeful about Ukraine, because I learned that far too many Brits, Americans, Canadians, and others, just go there and are employed. Schools/Universities have never replied to my emails, because they get too many walk ins. Many, also, have old or invalid emails, so your letters end up nowhere. Someone I know who operates a dating website there told me he recommended just going and winging it, which I am loathe to do. If I had a friend there I might, but I know no one.

Let's say I am also joining this thread in search of answers and info. But to help your cause, Frost3r, you might also try Russia, similar culture and experience. I noticed 2 or 3 days ago some posts on Dave's board for positions in Russia. From experience they are flexible there too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: