Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lima? O Well!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Hetfield

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Lima? O Well! Reply with quote

So Naturegirl and Gsss agree Lima sux, even though Naturegirl lives and works there for years. Your previous post really bad timing for me. I just bought my ticket this morning, and the ticket is NONREFUNDABLE!!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Really every big city sux. I taught in Taipei Taiwan 3 years and Taipei SUX. EVERYONE agrees Taipei sux, just an overpopulated polluted gray concrete maze with nothing to do but watch TV. But EVERYONE lives there. Why? For the money!

Universal Truth: Peasants around the world flock to overpopulated polluted gray megacities. They all would rather live on their farms, but globalization forces them to move to the big city. I'm nothing more than an American Economic Refugee. I'll work in Lima for the same reason everyone else does, including Naturegirl: For the money.

Love to live in Cusco, if a school sets up my apartment walking distance and pays enough for comfort and return tickets. I have no driver license and won't drive in Third World traffic. I must stay where I can ride buses everywhere. I'll look for a Cusco job that pays living wage, but from this forum I gather I shouldn't get my hopes up.

These grim days everyone should see GRAPES OF WRATH. Studs Turkel died last week. NPR played his interviews with Great Depression survivors, including a clip from John Ford's GRAPES OF WRATH: Everywhere Tom Joad looks for work, he finds nothing but desesperados warning: "Mista yall gotta go back, I aint found no work here and my kids are starving!" Tom Joad asks Casey, "You think that poor old man tellin the truth bout there being no work here?" Casey answers wisely: "Sure he's telling the Truth for HIMSELF. Aint necessarily the truth for us!"

O but why Latin America if you need money? Well, try reading other forums. Read Russia, Arabia, Korea, China. Everywhere totally sux. At least I speak Baby Spanish. But I know only a few words of Russian, not enough, since every mutha*beep* landlord, employer and taxi driver in Moscow will try to rip you off every day, as you try to dodge teenage nazi skinheads looking for foreigners to kick into a coma every night after sunset. Whole world sux. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Gusss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I explained to you you have not wasted your airfare. Lima sux - Peru doesnt. Everyone who goes to Peru lands in Lima. People have suggested some nice well payed alternatives : Trujilo for example . So when you get to Lima go and check it out, Peru is cheap, you can get to most places for twenty dollars !
Gusss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and dont get me wrong - youll live like a king, although the wages look poor they are lightyears beyond what anyone else gets. Remember Peru is cheap ! You can live on three dollars a day when you know what you are doing and youll earn that in an hour. I used to work four hours a day and lived very well. Just dont expect to pay back credit card bills back home.....
James Hetfield

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word. Well that makes me feel alot better. Razz

I read Naturegirl's English newspaper links including Lima apartment classifieds asking US$1,000 per month for one bedrooms in Miraflores, total Expat ripoff by greedy agents.... At least she warned me! Evil or Very Mad

As for that other Orifice dude wanting US$3000 per month so he could send home US$1000 per month to pay off his college loans, whether or not he is a troll, his post looked like something a troll would post. Sure I laughed out loud with you guys! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sure I'll try Cusco too. Barely speaking Spanish and no driver license, I'm limited to expat-friendly urban areas with bus routes. As an Atheist like Michelle Bachelet I shall leave my fate to the whims of Mighty Thor. Cool
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but here's the thing. I've only been in Lima for 2.5 years, I was up north for 2 years. The thing that gets to me about LIma is the weather. It's like Seattle. Other than that, and the horrible traffic, it's decent. And you can live pretty well here. If you're a social butterfly, then you'll find TONS of things to do here.

It's just not for me, becuase I'm looking at raising a family soon, in a year or two, and I don't want it to be in Lima.

Another thing. If you want to be in Peru, you HAVE to fly to Lima. THere's only one international airport. So you could come to Lima and then go to another nice city. Flights to most are 90 usd one way, or take the bus, about 30 usd.

Same reason people are in LIma, the money, and all the big businesses are here.

NO institute will pay for flights, only international schools. And they won't ask you to drive, just take the bus. Try Maximo Nivel www.maximonivel.net or Excel www.excelinspanish.com

Love to live in Cusco, if a school sets up my apartment walking distance

And yep, there are lots of rich expats who can afford 1000 usd plus a month flats. My ROmanian teacher pays 1700 usd, but her husband's company pays for it. WE've never paid more than 150 and have lived in Miraflores as well.
NickImpy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey James Hetfield! NatureGirl is right about Trujillo. I go there twice a year because my wife is from there. I live in hillsborough NJ now. Anyway, I want to live in Trujillo but it's very hard with school and debt. Go there, trust me you'll love it. I would go to the beach everyday when I was there on top of drinking lots of beer, eating, going to the movies, and admiring local culture. It's big enough in other words. Good enough for our very American, " I don't want to live in the city but I want to make enough to be happy and play laser tag on the weekends." Does that make sense? Does anyone actually play laser tag? I know I don't, but you know what I'm trying to say.
light sweet dude

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JH, you might want to consider Ica in southern Peru. I don't know the job situation but riding those tubulars on the sand dunes is a blast.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That area, Ica, Pisco, might be difficult to get a job there. They still haven't recovered from the earthquake that leveled the towns in Aug 2007.
ghostdog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, there's a great reason to choose a location to live in -- "you can drink lots of beer there." There are very few locations where this wouldn't apply, save for self-imposed religious restrictions. If this is your main concern in life, stay home (or, if drinking cheaply is your sole goal, go to someplace like Vietnam, where half a dozen beers in a "beer garden" run about one usd).

Anyway, I like Trujillo because I like quiet (or relative quiet, because the traffic in the centre is fairly heavy and taxi drivers seem to think it's part of their job descriptions to hit pedestrians) but it would be hard to say that it's not boring. The city lacks green spaces, which limits the opportunities to take advantage of the climate without having to go outside the city limits. As for "going to the movies," there are only three cinemas here, and only one in the town centre -- the other two are in the city's two shopping malls. Generally, the film selection is second-rate as best, and you'd be better off doing what most of the locals do -- buying pirate DVDs and watching them at home.

Don't get me wrong. It's a nice place, and it would suit some people fine, especially those are aren't looking for lots of nightlife and/or gringos. But it's not a city, it's a big town, and if you're expecting anything remotely cosmopolitan it isn't likely to suit.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that any city is what you make here. Here in Lima, I live a country life. I go to work, I go home for lunch with my husband and I teach privates. My idea of a night out? Delivery pizza or a movie. Despite living in a city with 8 million, I do my best to stay away from most of them Smile
ghostdog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a wise choice. Laughing
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it is. Today's Tuesday, so pizzas two for one, Papa John's which is much better than pizza hut
light sweet dude

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey NG
If you're ever in Miraflores and hungry for pizza and Italian food, there's a good place on the corner of Diez Canseco and Pasaje Tello right around from the Hotel Maria Luisa. Cheap and good.
Can't remember the name of it but it's just a little hole in the wall.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. How much are pizzas there? though we live near La richi, end of Benavides, but maybe we could get around to MF:
light sweet dude

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the pizza with drinks probably came out to be about 18-20 soles. That's for 2 people...me and my girlfriend. Cheap for me compared to the U.S. prices that I am used to.
She doesn't really like pizza and italian food but she conceded this time. And I was happy because if I had to eat el pollo la braza at Norkys or Bembos one more time, I was going to scream! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: