Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs in NW Peru?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orpheus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Jobs in NW Peru? Reply with quote

Hello all. I'm a newbie here but I've been lurking for a while and I figured I'd post here with some questions that have been on my mind.

1) What's the job market like in the NW area (mainly Piura)?
I've searched around here and most of what I've found relates to Lima, Trujillo and Arequipa, but I'm not really looking for the "big city life" type of thing (but mid-size cities aren't out of the question).

2)Considering that I'm trying to stay away from the big cities, what kind of $ would someone with a Master's in TESOL from a fairly well-known US university and some internship (about a year, but no "real" work) experience be worth? I also speak some Spanish (definitely not fluent), and I'm taking some undergraduate Spanish courses while I work on my Master's program.
I've seen salaries in international schools near the big cities mentioned at around $3k (here: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=66458 ), but does this drop drastically if you're in the suburbs/rural areas and lack experience?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide. I'm definitely looking at Peru for a job after I graduate, but I really want to be able to pay off student loans without having to work in a big city. I'm just checking out the options.
Gusss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally find 3000 dollars a month in Peru, even Lima, extremely hard to believe. Show me ONE advert for English teaching for that sort of Salary in Peru, nay - the entire world !! Sounds like bollocks to me - youll be doing well to get 500 dollars a month in Peru outside Lima. Outside Lima Normal is about ten soles an hour (about three dollars an hour) bear in mind thats what many people in Peru earn in an average day.
One option to earn a westen wage in peru is to teach online, if you want to live in a rural area and pay of your student loan Peru is not the palce for you .
keepwalking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$3000 is the going rate for teachers with teaching qualifications in their home country (rather than TEFL) and experience. You'll find those jobs advertised in the press in those countries. Schools in Peru which offer around that include Markham, Newton, San Silvestre, Cambridge, Hiram Bingham etc. They are all British schools. You'd get more at Roosevelt, the American school in Lima. They also all offer return flights and medical insurance.

However, you will need more than a TESOL qualification to really be considered for these posts. Typically teachers here are qualififed to teach in their own country and have experience, normally 2 years minimum. The reason you don't see those jobs advertised in Peru is that they are targetting overseas teachers.

Outside of Lima you'd get around $1000 a month in Trujillo. Institutes pay around 16 soles ($5-6) an hour but there's no holiday pay or work visa so you'd have to factor in a border run every 3 months.

Look again at Trujillo - it is not a big city really. It would be worth considering.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got to be kidding. YOu could make about 700 or 800 at UDEP, contact Connie Nalvarte at cnalvart at udep.edu.pe

Yes, there are 3K salaries, but you need quals and years of experience. FDR pays 3K, so do San Silvestre, and Markham and Newton.

In Lima, you can get 7 to 10 an hour, outisde, expect 5 to 10 dollars. Gusss, I know that you were here for five years, but really, now these are the going rate. There's a big gap between 5 bucks and hour and 3K amonth, but that's the reality of working in Peru.
Sharon
Gusss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation

Last edited by Gusss on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gusss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say if this is true I'm shocked . I mean the best paid jobs in ESL are in in Saudi Arabia and Korea and they don't offer you that much, still I cant quite bring myself to believe it even for Lima. I guess its possible , but that would put these schools amongst the best paid ESL jobs in the world. But most English jobs in Peru do not pay that much or anything near it ! In England, my home country , I can earn 2000 dollars a month doing ESL if I am lucky ! In Spain I had a grat job for 2000 dollars a month so this sort of wage in Peru is exceptional and definately not the norm ! Yeah realistically you might get 1000 dolars in Lima a month but Lima is horrible. If you can get that in trujilio then go there - you wont get that in cusco.
I think I am going to have to lie down a minute........
Orpheus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your speedy responses. There's a program offered by my school that is an alternative path to public school teacher certification with an ESL endorsement; I've been considering it just in case I decide to teach in the States some time. Do you think it would be worth it to spend an extra semester here in order to get it? I was kind of under the impression that the MTESOL would give me somewhat of an advantage in lieu of 1-2 years of experience.

Basically, I'm looking for something that I could send around $1000/month back to the US to pay school loans off and then have enough left over to live comfortably. Trujillo is an option, but I thought it was a pretty big city; am I wrong?
Gusss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orpheus wrote:
Thanks for all your speedy responses. There's a program offered by my school that is an alternative path to public school teacher certification with an ESL endorsement; I've been considering it just in case I decide to teach in the States some time. Do you think it would be worth it to spend an extra semester here in order to get it? I was kind of under the impression that the MTESOL would give me somewhat of an advantage in lieu of 1-2 years of experience.

Basically, I'm looking for something that I could send around $1000/month back to the US to pay school loans off and then have enough left over to live comfortably. Trujillo is an option, but I thought it was a pretty big city; am I wrong?

dude youd be lucky to send that much home from anywher ein the world let alone Peru.
here for example :
http://www.tefljobplacement.com/peru.php

Look online for jobs that are advertised now to get a realistic view of wages. Yeah the odd job might pay you 1000dollares a month but it will be rare, unless you are lucky enough to land a job at one of these super schools in lima youll be on about 400 - 700 dollars a month.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gusss wrote:
Orpheus wrote:

dude youd be lucky to send that much home from anywher ein the world let alone Peru.
here for example :
http://www.tefljobplacement.com/peru.php

Look online for jobs that are advertised now to get a realistic view of wages. Yeah the odd job might pay you 1000dollares a month but it will be rare, unless you are lucky enough to land a job at one of these super schools in lima youll be on about 400 - 700 dollars a month.

That's why I'm asking. I saw the posts that mentioned salaries around $3k and was curious if these were really the extreme end of the exceptions or if it might be reasonable for someone in my position (not $3k but more than a few hundred a month). Most of the jobs I've seen are for less than $1k/month.

I really don't need to send $1k back each month, but that's what I'd hope for to pay off my loans really early. Just generally shopping around for after I graduate right now, so I'll probably be all over the boards asking these kinds of questions (if I can't find existing threads).[/i]
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu can find schools like that, really, I swear. Top international schools here in Lima pay that, and you'll get the expat teachers who can't speak a word of SPanish after three years here.

International schools in LIma pay up to 3K a month, expect 1500-3000usd. Institutes, you can get 7 to 10 usd an hour.

Trujillo, the international school pays 700 to 900 usd. Privates are about 5 usd an hour.

Davy College in Cajamarca also pays up to 3K.

Gusss is right, it's not the norm. It's the few and far between.

Get the teacher cert, but usually you'll need at least two years experience to get into the good schools. NO substitute for the two years experience.

YOu're not going to make enough to send home 1000 usd a month in Trujillo, at lesast not as a teacher. I saved over 1K a month in Korea, but didn't do anything, no going out, etc.

Basically, expect between 700 and 1000 usd for teaching English in the majority of the world. Maybe Europe pays up to 1500. Korea and the Middle East more. But now with the exchange rates, you're going to get a LOT less in Korea. I was making 2600 usd last year, and with the exhange rate, it's down to 1900 usd.

Ify ou want to pay off loans, unless you can get a job at an international school, don't come to Peru.
Orpheus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
YOu can find schools like that, really, I swear. Top international schools here in Lima pay that, and you'll get the expat teachers who can't speak a word of SPanish after three years here.

International schools in LIma pay up to 3K a month, expect 1500-3000usd. Institutes, you can get 7 to 10 usd an hour.

Trujillo, the international school pays 700 to 900 usd. Privates are about 5 usd an hour.

Davy College in Cajamarca also pays up to 3K.

Gusss is right, it's not the norm. It's the few and far between.

Get the teacher cert, but usually you'll need at least two years experience to get into the good schools. NO substitute for the two years experience.

YOu're not going to make enough to send home 1000 usd a month in Trujillo, at lesast not as a teacher. I saved over 1K a month in Korea, but didn't do anything, no going out, etc.

Basically, expect between 700 and 1000 usd for teaching English in the majority of the world. Maybe Europe pays up to 1500. Korea and the Middle East more. But now with the exchange rates, you're going to get a LOT less in Korea. I was making 2600 usd last year, and with the exhange rate, it's down to 1900 usd.

Ify ou want to pay off loans, unless you can get a job at an international school, don't come to Peru.

Thanks for the info. Are the international schools really that hard to get jobs in? I'll be graduating with my MTESOL in May, and I'm working on an ESP textbook (hopefully for eventual publication) as my AP for the program. I'll also have about 2 years of Spanish classes and a year of experience teaching adult learners (custodial and groundskeeping staff of the university).
Peru is really my first choice at the moment (other than Spain and Greece, but being an American kind of screws me for those locations); I'm just now starting to feel out the global market and checking out salaries, working conditions, etc.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not that hard to get into, but if you don't meet the basic requirements (teaching license and two years experience) then forget about it.

You can find jobs at www.tes.co.uk

Knowing Spanish won't help you get a job. It won't help you in the classroom either, you'll be speaking English. It will help you outside the classroom though. See my PM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: