Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best unknown beach in Mexico?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robertokun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering why Maruata was described by Mrs. L as "infamous." I heard good things about it and was considering going there sometime in the near future.
sarliz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think every time I've heard Maruata mentioned, it was in a sentence like "my __________ got stolen when I was at Maruata." I've never been, but I think it's one of those kinds of hippy beaches.
Samantha

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one of the websites describing Maruata, Michoacan it notes how beautiful the area is and then at the bottom of the page is this sobering warning. With all that's going on in Mexico at the moment, I think it is wise to pay attention to these warnings.

Quote:
The Micho�can coast is historically been known as a dangerous place to travel, both for the curvy roads and the isolated streches that banditos and drug runners like to set up shop. The last few years things have settled down a bit, but it still is not the safest place. Please do NOT drive at night, and don't bring valuables. Travel at your own risk.
Gary Denness

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELEE wrote:
My vote is for Playa Chacahua at the Lagunas de Chacahua west of Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca.

(some guide books list is as Chacagua Confused )

It's a fab spot. I also like Playa Ventura a bit further along the road towards Acapulco. It can get so quiet there it can make Chacahua seem positively resort like!
MikeySaid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any hotels at chacahua?

looks like me and the missus might be heading to oaxaca for christmas!

now we just need to know where to go.

i've been once, she hasn't. i saw oaxaca city, monte alban, and puerto escondido last time... it was a week and all i wanted to do was drink micheladas and chill... this time i want less beer and more sights.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
El Gallo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playa Ventura is fabulous and the people there are very friendly. There, I got to see my gringo friend try to eat a tamale still wrapped in banana leaves
and met a Catholic man at the end of the road south who has three families (and I thought only southwestern Wyoming Mormons were still polygamists) Razz
Mrs L

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertokun wrote:
I was just wondering why Maruata was described by Mrs. L as "infamous." I heard good things about it and was considering going there sometime in the near future.

Just met a lot of people travellling who often make the 'maruata, only one letter away from ******' comment. Then there's all the prepa kids I used to teach who go often (or went often, I don't know how recent developments have changed things down that way) and the giant sound systems/ raves on the beach that happen during semana santa.

Saying that it is a gorgeous beach although the sea's too rough to swim in. It depends on your age but I'm personally too old now to enjoy camping next to drunk/ stoned 18 year olds, and the bathrooms there are pretty nasty. My advice- stay elsewhere on the coast and visit for the day.

As for Samantha's quote. Stick to the coast road south of Tecoman and you shouldn't have any problems but I echo what it says about valuables and travelling at night. Be prepared for all the army road blocks though, pretty time consuming when they search all your camping stuff!!
robertokun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. Thanks for the info.
dfields3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Cuyutlan Reply with quote

Cuyutlan is my favorite unknown beach. It is pitch black sand and out in the middle of nowhere (about 30min from Manzanillo). We ate garlic shrimp tacos for 25 pesos a person. Beer was 6 pesos. And the town was very accomodating. The hotel was 80 pesos a night and was clean and fully furnished.
Samantha

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to put a damper on these suggestions but I feel some of them are quite outdated and in the current "climate" in Mexico it really is NOT wise to camp or wander on remote beaches or roads, especially after dark. I live in a beach area that was considered perfectly safe a number of years ago when I moved here. Without getting into gory examples, I will simply say that in these current times, no way anyone should take chances with safety in any remote areas.
geaaronson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: beach baby Reply with quote

You don�t seriously think I am going to tell anyone and have it spoiled for me? Call me selfish if you like.
MikeySaid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: beach baby Reply with quote

geaaronson wrote:
Call me selfish if you like.

You could PM me with the name of some special place, I promise, I'll only take my wife's family with me. With cousins and tios, that's only 100 something people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ramakentesh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For me it's Zipolite in Oaxaca. Same set up as described above with cabanas and places to rent tent space. It's quiet, uncrowded and beautiful. Don't be surprised if you are offered a joint for sale when you buy a beer or If you climb over a big rock outcropping with a house on top and find a nude beach on the other side (not that I would ever partake of either)

LOL - that place rocks - nude chicks tripping on mushrooms swimming with flowers in their hands - its the only place in the world ive seen that!
rafomania

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best unknown beach in Mexico for me is this beach I went to last year. Don't know where it was. Don't know what it was called because its so unknown, I don't know much about it nor if its known or unknown by locals. All I know is that its unknown and I'm not entirely sure about that.
rafomania

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm, if its unknown, how can we be sure it really exists?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: