Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Academy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddievedder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: TEFL Academy Reply with quote

Was wondering if anyone knows or has had experience with TEFL Academy in Santiago. I have read a few short messages about it past posts here but no information from someone who hastaken their tefl course. I have heard mixed reports about Bridge Linguatec and was hoping that TEFL Academy offered a better alternative to Bridge. Thanks!

Jake
Frank1980

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: All my indicators show that the Tefl Academy is tops Reply with quote

I know some people that attended the program with the Tefl Academy. They said it was definitely worth it. Besides being cheaper than others, it also prepares you to be able to teach ESL anywhere. All of the people I know said that they learned practical teaching skills and found jobs in reputable schools (not all are).
roro825

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm going to be starting my tefl program with them on sept 12th. i've been in contact with a couple who's in the class with me and they're already down there (she's actually on this site also) and they talked to the guy in charge. so far everything's been great and seems kosher. The guy in charge (i'm forgettin his name right now) is really nice and helpfull also. you get a pre course pack with grammar to help prepare you and then when you get down there it's 4 weeks of somethin like from 10-5 class with an hr and a half lunch break everyday, so it's pretty intensive. from my experience so far I would recommend it and i've heard good things. i can tell you more once the course is done.
archie157

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have been looking into TEFL Academy. Any more information about this company available? Thanks!
erin82

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boyfriend and I took the September TEFL course through the TEFL Academy and were extremely pleased. It was a month long, intensive 120 hour course complete with several teaching practices (for multiple levels) and observations. We had originally planned to only do an online course before we came to Santiago, and I'm really glad we changed our plans at the last minute. It turns out the good companies around here require you to have at least a 120 hour TEFL cert., and the TEFL Academy's program is pretty highly regarded. Not only did I feel super prepared to teach and field all of those pesky grammar questions, but James (the director) really helped us out in finding jobs once the course was over. We both had jobs at a great company (comunicorp) within a week after completing the course.

To sum up, I would highly recommend the TEFL Academy, whether you'll be staying in Santiago afterwards or traveling somewhere else. I felt super prepared and qualified after the course, and the personal assistance in finding a job and dealing with all those other little things that come along with living in another country was absolutely indispensable.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck to everyone in your decision making!
Lunkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone on here taken this course since the last post on this thread 2 years ago? Laughing

i'm considering taking this program and any additional insight would be appreciated Smile
Lunkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone?
Dia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

havent heard of anything/anyone who's taken it, but i'd recommend the bridge course if this doesnt work out.
Ai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know several people that have done the TEFL Course through the TEFL Academy. From what I understand it's very good. It's also a lot of work and it really prepares you for the classroom. The guy that runs it does his best to help his graduates find jobs.
jakell

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the TEFL Academy course last January (2008). I definitely recommend this course to everyone. I definitely learned a lot of valuable things from the course. And they provide you with great information for finding a teaching job in Chile.
If you have any specific questions about the course, feel free to ask.
spamghod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach in Patagonia, Chile!
Bridge TEFL

http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=18649

87,000 Chilean Pesos a month. Checking this sum out on Yahoo.com, it seems it works out to the princely sum of US$128.69. Is this a joke or what?!? I make this in a day in Korea!
Dia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually has nothing to do with this thread, but for you or anybody else that stumbles across this, that is probably true and actually not that bad of a deal. Its probably unfair to put a bad name to something without understanding or explaining the context.

from that link you posted, all food and housing is paid for including some extra things like training spanish classes and in-country travel costs. it may be reasonable for someone looking to have some assistance/program/placement abroad.

that 87,000 sounds like purely spending money. many teachers in chile dont end up with that much spending money after paying the bills. 87,000 of purely spend/save money would be probably be reasonable and comfortable.

its not worth comparing this offer to korea or the US unless you're trying to decide between one place or another. in which case, you're right, chile probably is not the place to go to "make it big"
mike30

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I didn't take the course, I do know the guy who runs/owns the program and can vouch that he is extremely professional, knows his stuff, and will definitely train you to be a better teacher, along with offering job placement assistance. He is a very nice, honest, and trustworthy person.

Many TEFL schools are jokes, where you pay a few hundred bucks to get a cert for your CV, but the TEFL Academy offers a legitimate training program which is worth your time and money if you're in the market for professional development.
Lunkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly what i wanted to hear Very Happy thanks!
spm200

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: when are you going Reply with quote

Hey lunkey when did you say you were going to go to Tefl academy in chile?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: