Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Experience with EF Anyone????
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Experience with EF Anyone???? Reply with quote

I'm want to get over to Jakarta - EF was the first to get back to me. Anyone have experience with them? What I should expect as far as salary goes, etc.
pauleslteacher1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Silvia...

Okay everyone calm down...... let's all try to be polite and positive, it being Monday and all...hmmmmm...

Silvia, everything pretty much has been said about EF on this site, do a search and you will find out all you need to know...

That wasn't hard was it? Smile

"Get over to Jakarta"? Confused

Have a nice week...

Paul
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Get over to Jakarta" reminds me of people in 19th century Britain saying they were going "out to India." But in the OP's case, I think the expression probably means "hop over from someplace near" (such as Bangkok) rather than "go out to the colonies" (from Europe).
tanyakenapa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first reaction reading the post was... "is this person a troll" sounded like an Indonesian's english to me.
pauleslteacher1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I just noticed that I spelt your name wrong Silva.. Sorry... I guess I was thrown a bit by your post...

Where are you from? Smile
guruengerish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: "Get over to Jakarta" Reply with quote

Very restrained so far. Good for you.

Henry: the Brits (aka POMS in this part of the world) still say they're 'going out' to Australia. OUT from where I wonder.

Silva: there's a helluva lot of negative stuff on the posts about EF, but it all depends on the school and its owner, or in many cases, a group of schools. Read on as you've been advised, but remember, it's a good stepping stone if you're new to the English teaching field; in the year ahead you can talk to others, see what's going. what's available and who pays fairly.

Once you're locked into a school, you more of less have to do the 12 months, or you forfeit bonuses, air fares, and have problems getting an exit permit.

Tread warily.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "Get over to Jakarta" Reply with quote

guruengerish wrote:
Tread warily.

Thread warily, guys. Cool
Silva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"do a search" yes
"a stepping stone" yes
"tread wearily" yes

"is this person a troll" sounded like an Indonesian's english to me. HA

Have mercy - after a night of raucous drinking one's ridiculous, regional idiomatic phrases shine. Mental note: Do not post after drinking.

Thanks for the heads up.
Synergy101

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to try TBI or IALF, much better than EF as far as I know Smile
Silva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up Synergy.

Having no degree does complicate the matter a bit. I am TEFL certified; most companies are looking for a degree, and EF has offered me a position in Batam sans degree. I'm taking this offer with a huge grain of salt after reading about them on the boards. My concern is if this school in Batam is part of the Swara group.

The bottom line is, I'm keeping all my options open in Asia - Indonesia does seem FAR more attractive than working a year in Korea while I finish my degree
Silva

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently EF Batam is worse than Swara - couldn't be bothered by all of that.
Synergy101

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Re no degree Reply with quote

In some cases you can work with no degree in a good school as long as you can show that a: you have completed some degree credits (you will need offical transcripts) or have some higher edu certificates and b. you will be continuing you degree either online or in a year or two.

I know a teacher who doesn't have a degree but is working at a degree only school because he is completing his online, and another who has some higher ed certs and its no problem. You may want to give it a try
elamericano

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from the US and have a bachelors degree (not in English or a teaching field) along with a TEFL certificate which isn't accredited by Cambridge or Trinity.

I also have about a year and a half experience teaching adult conversation classes as well as Business English classes. I'm looking to avoid English First, so what are other places in Indonesia to consider?
tanyakenapa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about ILP that hasnt been mentioned for a while on here Smile
Synergy101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: to elamericano Reply with quote

If your TEFL course had 6 -12 hours of observed and assessed teaching practice like the CELTA or Trinity TESOL then mention that in your application. Some schools have require applicants to complete a lesson plan before the interview. Ace the lesson plan and you have a good shot at some of the better schools. IALF, TBI,
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: