Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need shots?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Do I need shots? Reply with quote

b]Hello!

[/b]My husband and I are moving to Mexico this summer with our two small children. Do we need special immunization?

I've had conflicting results so far, with some people saying to get every needle known to man Confused, and others saying don't bother at all.

Just thought I'd check with some of you who are and have been living don there.

Thanks!
Regan
The Old Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like to give medical advice to others. Having said that, I will say that there is much of Mexico that is probably low risk. Some of Mexico is probably high risk. I utilized the travel medicine section of a large HMO a number of years ago because my employer required it. What the travel med nurse recommended was a Tetanus booster and the Hepatitis series. She also gave me a Polio booster and I believe, Typhoid. This may have been "overkill", but it didnt cost me anything at the time.

The Tetanus and Hepatitis make sense to me.

I have traveled extensively in Latin America and have only rarely been ill. I seem to have a well developed immune system. I do have anecdotal stories of friends who have contracted serious illness in Mexico, but I have not. I think it really depends on where in the country one will be. I don't think mosquito borne illness is an issue in the Sonoran or Chihuahuan desert, for example. On the hand, some of the swamp/jungle areas would be suspect.

If I had it to do all over again, I probably wouldnt bother with it as a single person, but some of the horror stories I hear about Hepatitis make that innoculation seem like cheap insurance.

Having children in Mexico brings up another whole set of issues that I don't feel competent to address.

Research, research, research!

TOG
MELEE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Shots Reply with quote

This is one of the questions on our FAQ in our prospective employee pack.

Here is our answer.

No vaccinations are required for Mexico.
Hepatitis A and B are good ideas.
The Cholera vaccination is less than 50% effective and cholera can be avoided by employing good hygiene and careful eating practices. Therefor is it not a recommended vaccine.
A typhoid vaccination is also be a good idea; we did have one teacher contract typhoid a couple of years ago.
There is no malaria in the area, so anti-malarials are not needed.
There is dengue but unfortunately there is no vaccination for that. The best precaution is to sleep under a mosquito net, which are widely available here.
There is no Yellow Fever in Mexico.
Of course all the regular vaccinations should be up to date, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Polio, Tetanus, and Diphtheria.

Hope that helps.

MEL
Regan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch!

That's a great help. Off to the doctor we go..... Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: