Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Exclusivity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dez

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Visa Exclusivity Reply with quote

I'm living in Korea now. I'm legally only allowed to work for the school that sponsored me for my visa. Is this the same in Vietnam or are you able to work for more than one employer if time allows?
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Visa Exclusivity Reply with quote

dez wrote:
I'm living in Korea now. I'm legally only allowed to work for the school that sponsored me for my visa. Is this the same in Vietnam or are you able to work for more than one employer if time allows?

Hey Dez, I'm gonna try to answer some of your questions although take it in mind that I never worked there. I'm just going on the info my friends who have worked there shared with me as well as alot of self-research I was doing on the place.

My understanding however is that the Korean system of being tied to a place and can't work elsewhere is non-existant.

From reading other journals and the like, it seems most teach at numerous places.. whoever gives them hours.

There is also some kind of 'business visa' that many expats get which allows them to teach English for up to a year.. which can be done through travel agencies.

There use to be a 'Vietnam expert' who use to be on this board a few years ago who had a great website with very detailed information on this kind of thing. I also recall that he worked at a number of places at the same time (and it was the norm - or so it seemed implied).

Hope this helps.. this board if fairly inactive and just so you have some kind of feedback.. thought I'd toss mine out there.
Lee_Marrero

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work visa unessential. 6 month business visa for Americans and Canadians renewable indefinitely for 150 USD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daily chai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: how to get VN business visa? Reply with quote

How does an American or Candadian citizen get a business visa to Vietnam? Through a travel agency inside VN or outside? Do you have to offer any documentation to get one? In Taiwan you have to have a letter of invitation from a company, any company (not neccessarily an English school). If you get the visa inside VN, do you have to make a visa run to validate it?

Thanks!
Nightwing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Yes yes, answer please.
I was on the embassy web site and the application asks for a vietnamese contact or something.
Can one obtain a tourist visa and then take care of the other type after a job is acquired, or is there a better way to do it?
freebeacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Business Visa Vietnam Reply with quote

I emailed the Vietnam Embassy in Washington last week after reading through the Vietnam forum here and asked about the 6 month business visa. and asked the cost. I said I didn't have a sponsor but desired one. They emailed back and asked me how many entries I wanted, and for what purpose. I told them I was interested in meeting with Directors of language schools. I am waiting to hear back. I assume they are now trying to find a sponsor contact for me which might take a "while' or they assume I want to teach. They didn't ask that and I didn't say. Do you think they are actually working on it or won't act. Thanks.
tiggerpoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Updated visa information Reply with quote

Visa laws are always changing, so by the time you read this post the laws would have probably changed. I don�t believe at present you can simply ask a Vietnam Embassy for a business visa, but try as it has happened in the past. The most recent laws require you to enter on a tourist visa, secure a teaching job and then have your school sponsor you for a business visa, if you don�t have a sponsor prior to entering. I don�t know how difficult it is to get a sponsor prior to entering and I would not rely on the Vietnamese government for help. Your school will have to apply for your visa in Vietnam then fax the information to a country of your choice (most choose Cambodia or Thailand). Then you will have to make a visa run to that country to pick it up. It usually takes 1 � 2 days once all the information is submitted and can cost up to $100 (some schools will reimburse you for the visa cost). Once you have your business visa you will have to renew it twice a year, but can be renewed indefinitely.

If on a long term contract, you can apply for a residence permit which only needs to be renewed once a year, plus it gives you a few added bonuses, such as obtaining a drivers license and owning a motorbike (the driving test is in Vietnamese) and you must secure a work permit first. Some schools require you to obtain a work permit as the government has recently started pressuring them. It takes about 10 weeks to get, and requires a letter from your local Vietnamese government (or your landlord�s residence book), medical test, and original university diplomas.

If your school doesn�t require a business visa then you can renew your tourist visa at any travel agency. Expect to pay 30-100 USD for the renewal depending on the length.
freebeacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Business Visa Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the advice-much appreciated. I will let you know if the embassy gets back to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: