Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I do with a six-month Singapore work permit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: What should I do with a six-month Singapore work permit? Reply with quote

I'm an American, and just found out that Singapore and the US have a reciprocal six-month Working Holiday agreement. This is news to me!

I've always been fascinated by Singapore, even though I know next to nothing about it. I'd be interested in taking advantage of the Working Holiday Program to go there and work, but...

I have no idea what kind of work I'd be eligible for. I don't mind taking a low-skilled job like a restaurant job or a convenience store job, it's all fine by me.

Everyone I've ever met from Singapore was either native or at least fluent in English. From reading these boards, it seems there is no market in Singapore for English, since it's an official language. Is this correct?

Is English so widespread that I could take up another job, like a store clerk or waiter or something, and language wouldn't be a problem? I'm not particularly well-qualified, so I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to find any job at all. These are my qualifications:
- Associates of Arts degree (well, when I leave for Singapore, that is)
- Graduation certificate from the 1.5-year Yonsei University Korean Language Institute (and good Korean)
- CELTA

Aside from that, I don't have many qualifications. What kinds of jobs could I do in Singapore on a Working Holiday visa? What's the pay like in Singapore for low-skilled jobs?
JosephP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why set your sites so low? Perhaps you could blag your way into a sweet deal teaching English to the children of Korean or Japanese corporate types - something like that.

I think that working in a 7-11 would be a non-goer.

Good luck.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Singapore and holiday work permits Reply with quote

Why Singapore? Six months may give you a chance to join some slime bag (my view of them) language school and save nothing because of the high cost of living.

If you are so good at Korean why don't you stay in Korea or go back to America and teach English there? Alternatively, you could volunteer to go to one of the African countries.
Jati

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Singapore and holiday work permits Reply with quote

Krakatoa wrote:
Why Singapore? Six months may give you a chance to join some slime bag (my view of them) language school and save nothing because of the high cost of living.

Why Singapore? Well, you see, by living in Singapore you are only 30 minutes or so from Asia....Malaysia to the north, or Indonesia (Batam) to the south.[/i]

<smiley face icon goes here, wink wink>
Evanzinho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone on here gotten this six month working holiday visa? I am interested in this, but I am trying to figure out what kind of job you can get in Singapore for just six months. Waiting tables or something like that?

It doesn't seem like there are very many ESL jobs, but they already speak English there so I guess it's not really necessary. Perhaps there are schools that cater to Koreans/Japanese that come to Singapore to study English?

I guess to wrap up this post, has anyone gotten this visa, and what did they do with it once they were in Singapore?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: