Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visa issued in Country/Which provinces?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ymmv

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Bump Reply with quote

Just bumping Volodiya's Excellent Visa Post back to the top since it seems the latest round of Z/F/L newbies have arrived.

ZFL's: Read the various items in this thread carefully first.
Volodiya

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dyslexic_dcuk, and ekirving, report that they arrived on L visas and were then given "foreign residence permits" (but not Z visas), by the PSBs of their respective provinces. This means they are, now, in the apparent same status as I am (albeit, in a different province)- holding a foreign residence permit, but without a current Z visa (my old one expired).

Is the Z visa becoming an endangered species?

As I said earlier, I'm no longer able to understand this question in quite the same way as I did before. If the foreign residence permit gives one a right to live and work in the country, what conditions still attach to the right to work as EFL teachers?

Without ignoring the fact that many provinces are still requiring new EFL teachers to leave the country to get a Z visa, and re-enter, in order to perform proferred employment- while others are converting some visas to Z visas, in country- is there anyone out there who thinks they have a conceptual handle on this? or must we continue to look at this as a province by province matter, until further notice?
phillipl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update from Chengdu, Sichuan. I posted on this thread earlier.

I entered China in late January 2005 on an F visa issued in Sydney. I had tried to get a Z but was told my documents were insufficient. I did not ask for the F, it was what was in my passport when I went to collect it.

Due to Spring Festival closures, slownesses at the Labour Bureau and the Education Bureau (and "The Foreigners' Hospital" - I was initially told I wouldn't need to have a medical exam again, I first arrived in Chengdu in February 2002 and had a Medical then and that was the only one until April of this year) my F visa expired. During this time I was told by the PSB that they couldn't convert either F or L visas to a Z anyway; GO TO HONG KONG and get the correct (Z I presume, but they seemed unsure of what documents I would need!) visa. After an hour of discussion with my bosses they relented on this deciscion and said come back in 4 days and you'll have an L visa and start the process again.

The L visa has finally been changed to the new foreign residence sticker.

To summarise: F visa -> L visa -> Foreign Residency Sticker (nothing with a Z on it!) THE F VISA WHICH HAS A DOUBLE ENTRY HAS NOT BEEN CANCELLED IN MY PASSPORT BUT THE SECOND ENTRY WILL EXPIRE ON JUL 10 2005. I have been told that the new sticker IS multi-entry.

However, contrary to my experience, I have a friend here from Melbourne who DID have an F converted to the new residency sticker in March. He was a teacher here for many years but is not a teacher now. He has opened his own media business here (maybe a special circumstance, I don't know but he has said he did have some meetings in "the upstairs office" at the PSB).

My lingering questions regarding the new residency sticker are these:

1. It expires the same day as my contract (and so does everyone elses' here who are teachers). The GREEN BOOK always expired at least a month after my contract. Do I have to get another visa (L, I guess) to enable me to leave China 2 days later?

2. If for some reason I leave my job, how would I know if and when the Residency Sticker is cancelled or not? (I guess this is the same situation with the old GREEN BOOK)

I will visit the PSB after this coming holiday and try to resolve these questions.
Volodiya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the candor of the posters in giving us details about the evolution of their individual situations, which adds to the body of information accumulating here about what is happening in the various provinces. I wonder if dyslexic_dcuk, ekirving and phillipl would mind adding just a little more to the mix by letting us know if they have, as yet, received a Foreign Expert Certificate as part of the process of sorting out their work/residency status in the country.
Alex_P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Visa Conversion Issue Reply with quote

Based on my experience regarding visa conversion:

Sichuan Province
-- as noted -- not a problem for anyone that I have known. Relatively fast five-day process.

Inner Mongolia -- not a problem for anyone that I have known.-- except that the Residence Permit is issued in increments of six months only, renewable three or four times and then renewable on a yearly-basis (Autnomous Region regulations apply here).

Zheijiang -- not a problem for anyone that I have known personally although I am aware of others that I have problems. Relatively fast five-day process but rigorous medical examination in a clean environment.

Regards all.
ekirving

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volodiya wrote:
I wonder if dyslexic_dcuk, ekirving and phillipl would mind adding just a little more to the mix by letting us know if they have, as yet, received a Foreign Expert Certificate as part of the process of sorting out their work/residency status in the country.

I sure have.

In fact, I received my FEC before my my foreign residency visa was issued.
phillipl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have my Foreign Expert Certificate.

It expires the same day as my "residency sticker" and contract.[/quote]
ttrtaft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
I was just offered a job in Guangix province.(I know I have the spelling wrong, sorry.) The owner said that if I get a L visa they can change it in province to a Z visa. I e-mailed a couple of teachers who worked for the school and they said the same.
Does anyone have any advice on this province. If and L can be changed to a Z visa.
Thanks for the help,
Rachel
Nobs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know more about Guangxi as well. I am getting confused with all the changes.

A friend there seems to think it is possible to avoid the whole z visa issue. Resident's permit from a tourist visa, which I am arguing is not correct. (She is cranky with me for doubting her) It is a Special Admin Region, so maybe different regs apply.

To get a z visa for china in HK, do you need the same documentation?
For one here (Oz) I thought it was letter of invitation, work permit, plus normal visa stuff - $$, photo, application. But I think someone on this thread said they just paid for it in HK, perhaps without these things. It this correct? Or did I miss something?
Volodiya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we'll get some responses from people with recent experience in Guangxi.

[What follows, should be considered a long, parenthetical remark, as it does not impart first hand knowledge about what is happening in Guangxi, and thus is a little "off topic".]

Without addressing the question of whether ttrtaft should actually take the job, you can see when you read what has been posted here that some provinces are giving FTs a residence permit, and a Foreign Expert's Certificate, after they arrive on L visas. (This generally implies that the FTs involved had at least a first university degree.) In ttrtafts' case, she has received the assurance of the school owner that everything can be managed, in country; and, a couple of FTs who work at the same place have told her that, indeed, it has worked out that way. (This was communicated by email: she might want to call one of them to confirm that she was, indeed, hearing from a FT.)

If she has a degree, we are getting pretty close to what I'd personally feel is an adequate level of confidence in the process (at least with regard to that school). If, in addition, I had a RT ticket, with a one year validity, one thousand USD to bring with me, and a credit card, I'd feel more than confident that at least I wasn't going to suffer if things didn't prove to be quite as it had been represented with regard to the immigration process, or something changed in the meantime (which it could do, with the procedures loosening, or tightening, over time: for example, having to go to HK for a Z visa, after arriving at the new place of work; or, after a period of uncertainty, having to look for another job, after concluding the employer could not deliver on his promises).

As has often been pointed out, a Z visa, issued to you before you leave home is your ASSURANCE that the institution you're planning to work for can actually deliver in terms of providing you with the legal status to work as an FT in the country- as well as reflects, to some degree, on how solid the organization is that you're dealing with. Anything short of that involves diminishing probabilities, and requires a conscious decision regarding your risks. (Not trying to discourage you, ttrtaft, in the least: you might ask yourself how you would feel if you were put through what some of the others on this thread were put through- though their stories finally had a happy ending. (Bare in mind too, we seldom hear, on this forum, from those whose stories had ultimately unhappy endings, and left China, never to return.)
docgary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: any update? Reply with quote

Have the conversion of L to Z visas gotten easier or worse in China?
any new updates would be appreciated.
Kirkpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have overstayed 2 months because of a bad employer. My new school in shinchun found out and fixed the problem with no visa run
therock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkpatrick wrote:
I have overstayed 2 months because of a bad employer. My new school in shinchun found out and fixed the problem with no visa run

Why would anyone overstay their visa for 2 months? Seriously there is no excuse for overstaying a visa. If a schools tells you "it will be alright, no problems at all" Get the heck out of there and find another school.
Ms Bean

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A school in Jiangsu offered to allow me to enter with an L and said I could change it to Z when I arrive. It was a public Uni.

I declined the offer, but I was sent the Foreign Expert's Cert and something else in Chinese to submit to the consulate to get the Z in my home country.
jibbs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Z visa and foreign expert certificate (FEC) in Nanjing. Then my passport and FEC were stolen and I got them replaced, thanks to my employers and 2 trips to the Canadian consulate in Shanghai. So I guess Jiangsu is one province where you need not leave the mainland to get the Z visa and FEC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: