Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For those who have left the UAE for Qatar...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected to read biffo's new mantra which is "Libya, Libya, Libya"
Madman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Abu Dhabi v. Doha (Qatar) Reply with quote

I moved here in August from Abu Dhabi. Prior to working in Abu Dhabi I was in Saudi Arabia. Since being out here I have visited Kuwait, Bahrain and the other emirates that make up the UAE.

I really enjoyed Abu Dhabi once I had settled in. It was easy and cheap to get around by taxi. Not being at all sporty and not being much of a drinker meant I had a pretty quiet life but that was ok with me and I was able to save money.

From visits to Dubai I knew I would never save a penny if I lived there - much more expensive and difficult and costly to use taxis.

Qatar (Doha) in comparison is very quiet, almost achingly dull and living and working out in the suburbs means my world has shrunk to school and home and the weekly shopping trip to the local Landmark mall. I don't drive and taxis are non-existent in this area. There are unlicensed private drivers but these are risky, expensive and unreliable. Cost of living is higher than in Abu Dhabi.

The range of fresh fruit and veg at landmark Carrefour is considerably poorer than at Lulu in Abu Dhabi.

Doha is less built up than the UAE. Doha physically reminds me of Fujairah but in practice living here is rather like living in Sharjah.

If you want a quiet life and can enjoy your own (or limited company) you can save more here - but you have to be a stay-at-home to do that.

New arrivals at my school were complaining they weren't saving anything but they were hiring cars and going out a couple of times a week. It depends on your reasons for being out here and how determined you are to stick to those goals.

So, Qatar is less hideous than Saudi Arabia and Kuwait but duller than the UAE. I wouldn't recommend Qatar as a newbie's first post in the Middle East but after the UAE it could be a useful place to top up your funds whilst you are in the region.

Qatar is another GCC country where you need an exit visa and your employer's (owner's!) permission to leave the country. Unlike Abu Dhabi you are fingerprinted here.
redsoxman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it. Stay in the UAE unless you have a family, maybe then it's OK to be in Q but if you're single, stay in the UAE. At least you have a life.
thursday12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatar costs too.
-It's a real expensive place ta live & shop.
-In the short time I've been here, the prices keep goin up.
-A lotta stuff has doubled and tripled in price.
-I've heard they're goin ta put up the price of gas soon.
-It's hard ta save as most people earn less than the cost of livin here.
-Ya just gotta keep yer hand in yer pocket.

Last edited by thursday12 on Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
thursday12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: UAE v Qatar Reply with quote

UAE: expensive, hot, traffic jams, Gulf expats, krap hotel bars, shopping malls.
Qatar: expensive, hot, traffic jams, Gulf expats, krap hotel bars, shopping malls.
Bahrain: (see above).

Same, same saddiq

Qatar same, same
battleshipb_b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi is not the same. No krap hotels or night clubs, they don't exist.
Things are much cheaper here because they import in bulk. It's easy to save money because you don't spend it on drink and clubs. Food is cheaper than the rest of the Gulf.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take Qatar, low salaries and all because I have a great gang of friends. Don't want to start all over somewhere else although must admit the UAE sounds enticing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: