Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Opportunities teaching ESL in Qatar ........

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karen987candy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Job Opportunities teaching ESL in Qatar ........ Reply with quote

Hello:

I'm new to this board so please go easy on me. I would like very much to work in the Mideast for about six months. I am a 56 year old female with a B.A. in Economics from a state university. I have no ESL or TEFL training .....but I have traveled overseas, i.e. India, Africa, Australia and South America. Would I have any success in finding a teaching position? I was, also, thinking of getting a certificate here in TESL....but I don't know if it would be worth anything overseas...

Can anyone offer any advice, please?
millie18

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no experience and no credentials you have zero chance of getting an ESL job anywhere in the Gulf except perhaps with the most horrible employers. You will not get offered transport or housing. The salary will be abysmal in comparison with the cost of living and would probably result in your having to pay out of your own pocket to even exist here even for a short period of time. Qatar is extremely expensive and prices increase almost daily.

Sorry, that's the reality on the ground.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention why would you choose Qatar? If you want to experience the Middle East, the Gulf is not really the place since you mingle very little with the local populace and mostly meet and deal with other expats. It is hugely expensive to live there. The jobs that you might get would barely cover food and transport... forget being able to pay rent.

I'd so some reading around in the General Middle East section. Definitely get a legitimate certificate (one that takes a month or two and has actual classroom supervised experience... not some weekend thing where they generally just collect your check). Without it, I doubt you would find anything. With it, you may be able to partly fund 6 months of travel in the Levant or North Africa, but you would still need some funds for back up. And the employers would be bottom of the barrel for the most part. You would have to hustle up the work from various language schools and such.

Of course, money may be no object here and you don't need to fund the six months from the work. It so, get the certificate - so that you don't make a fool of yourself in the classroom Laughing. Even if you have taught before, teaching EFL isn't the same as teaching say business or economics. (which is much easier - as I've done both) I would still avoid the Gulf, but you may be able to volunteer in schools in the rest of the Middle East.

VS
word_to_the_wise

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say Qatar is 'hugely expensive' at all. The vast majority of employers take care of accommodation, and I can fill my car up for less than 10 dollars.Eating out is still very reasonable - only real difference is in the supermarkets, where food (especially UK & US brands are a tad expensive). Alcohol has always had a premium on it in any case.

I can easily bank over 1000 GBP a month, rent a car and have more than enough cash to eat out every night, drink and buy extras etc.

Salaries here are still pretty good, if you know where to look.

Obviously for our original poster it's all out of reach for a few years at least.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

word_to_the_wise wrote:
Obviously for our original poster it's all out of reach for a few years at least.

I think you may not have read her message closely. This person says that she is 56 years old and has neither educational credentials nor experience. By the time she gets enough credentials to come close to the employment situation you describe, she will be of an age where no one will hire her. Laughing It's a catch-22.

From what I have seen, the few places who will hire someone who is between 58-62 only take someone who has a related MA or BA/CELTA and extensive related experience - normally with Arabic speakers.

VS
word_to_the_wise

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read her posting very closely thanks VS

My thread was in answer to your comment that Qatar is 'hugely expensive'.

Perhaps you didn't read it closely enough?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone at her salary level possibilities, I am correct... duh...

Obviously if you are making squat with no benefits, you will have to live like the fellows sweeping the streets. For them it is hugely expensive.

VS
word_to_the_wise

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where have all the articulate posters gone?
Gulezar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Age in Qatar Reply with quote

Does Qatar have an age cut off for new hires? With credentials and qualifications can someone in his/her golden years be hired in Qatar?
Reality check

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Age limit Reply with quote

No, there is so such cut-off. There are a lot of teachers who are over 60. A lot of retired high school teachers too.
thursday12

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At QU they get rid of you when ya turn 60 - not necessary but a good excuse to fire people they don't want hangin round.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Gulag - you only need a BA or CELTA and some teaching experience (for native speakers). If you're not a native-speaker, you need more qualifications. Not a bad place to work, especially if you can burrow in. Free at 2.00 and no work to take home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: