Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

English Opens Doors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlealtman1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: English Opens Doors Reply with quote

Hi! I have just finished interviewing for the English Opens Doors program, backed by the Chilean government and the UN. It seems really great. I know I will be working really hard and will be living slim, but...that hasn't scared me away thus far.

Does anyone know about EOD, or has anyone taught with them? Ayudame, por favor!

Sarah
teawallah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, sarah. i'll be going to chile for english opens doors, too! Laughing have you received any information from them about your class or where you'll be living? i sent the letter to the family and started my online tefl class, but haven't received a packet from them. Rolling Eyes i'm buying my ticket from exito travel this week. have you gotten your ticket yet?

lena
JosephP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if I am off base here, but the two postings above have more than a whiff of viral marketing.
littlealtman1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. I'm sorry. My overtly chipper attitude has just struck again. No marketing here; just excited.
stilljuliet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sarah and Lena,
I've been looking at the English Open Doors Program lately, too. I was wondering if you (or anyone else) could explain to me what, exactly, the 1000 dollar fee is for. I realize that it pays for some expenses...but...I guess I was just surprised at the cost of a volunteer job.

What do you think about the fee?

Thanks!

Heather
serrabella

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: English Open Doors Reply with quote

Hi Everyone:

I just recently signed up with EOD as well. I have not received a packet yet in the mail, but no one has said anything about a $1000 fee. So I'm surprised to hear this. I was just told that I need to pay for my own airfare, but accomodations witha host family will be provided a long with Spanish lessons, and a certificate at the end. I'm signed up for the summer. Let me know when you guys will be going, maybe I'll see you guys there Smile
serrabella

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: English Open Doors Reply with quote

Just an additional comment regarding EOD. I just found out that there is indeed a $500 fee for long-term (6-8months) volunteer program, but not for the summer term. I would suggest contacting the Ministry of Education directly (the web link on previous posts) as opposed to programs that will charge you a placement fee of $1000. You may be able to save yourself some money.
Ally J

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: English Open Doors Reply with quote

Yeah I checked out contacting the ministry of education directly. It does seem to streamline the process. However, there are benefits to going through a program. Even though I have teaching experience I am not (yet) certified for TEFL. Through the program I am getting that certification. Also, I went through an organization when I lived in France and I can't tell you how much it helped to have an in-country contact from that organization when I had difficulties with my living/studying/working situations. I can be a rather cautious person when going to a new area of the world and I value those services. They aren't necessary by any means but when going the volunteer route they can make a big difference in your experience.

Good luck to everyone! Hope to meet many of you in Chile.
~Ally
malonm1

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: New Participant Reply with quote

I highly recommend going through the Chilean Ministry of Education directly. There shouldn't be these fees. The only 'fee' is for visas, etc. No housing, no course fees. I will be doing the 4-month program and it all seems very official. Go to the following website if you are interested, avoid these random fees.

http://www.centrodevoluntarios.cl/

Good luck!
ehoffbuhr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: EOD Reply with quote

Malonm1, I am also doing the 4 month program with EOD this year. What region did you request?
jwatts83

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Ingles Abre Puertas Reply with quote

Hey,
My sister's doing the program now. I'm thinking of doing it when I finish being a Language Assistant in Spain. She went directly through the Ministry, so I don't think that she had to pay additional fees. What I was wondering is, are you going to be paid a stipend? The program I'm in now pays me a monthly salary. I know my sister's being paid, but I thought it might be just because she's on Easter Island (which is really remote from the rest of Chile) so the Ministry might be giving her extra $$ for that. My sister's definitely working hard, she's teaching her own class 8 hours a day M-F with kids ranging from 4 to 14 in one class and seems to be under a lot of pressure.
Evanzinho

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the EOD official website for 2009 and it looks like there is a $600-$1000 fee to participate in the program even if you go through the Chilean Ministry of Education's website. Can someone else comment on this? Also, can anyone else give some feedback regarding the EOD program like the poster above has done. I may be interested in this for next year. Thanks.
Amani Renas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evanzinho wrote:
I'm looking at the EOD official website for 2009 and it looks like there is a $600-$1000 fee to participate in the program even if you go through the Chilean Ministry of Education's website. Can someone else comment on this? Also, can anyone else give some feedback regarding the EOD program like the poster above has done. I may be interested in this for next year. Thanks.

I actually saw the same thing...I'm pretty sure there is a fee associated with the program, although I am going to send a letter to the ministry just to see what our options are.

Any news I get I will post back up here.
Amani Renas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amani Renas wrote:
Evanzinho wrote:

I actually saw the same thing...I'm pretty sure there is a fee associated with the program, although I am going to send a letter to the ministry just to see what our options are.

Any news I get I will post back up here.

Just following up...I contacted the ministry and they said the fee is basically for ensuring all of the participants have adequate health insurance. 600 for those staying for 6 and 4 months, 1000 for those staying the full year.
mcalvert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Former English Opens Doors Volunteer Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

My name is Max Calvert and I recently completed a 6 month teaching program with English Opens Doors in the region of Antofagasta, in the north of Chile. It was a great experience, and I would love to respond to any specific questions or concerns that you guys have about the program. You can send me an email at ([email protected]) or reply to this thread and I'll get back to you asap.

Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: