Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University jobs in Kabul
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karen987candy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Teaching Jobs in Afghanistan Reply with quote

How do you find out about teaching jobs, i.e. TESL, in Afghanistan? I have a B.A. in Economics but have no teaching experience. I am an over the hill female.
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mistral"]I'm not bitter at all. Education projects financed from outside the country are a joke. I'd never get involved. Seeing foreign teachers earning so much [ $4000 monthly salary ] for doing so little sickens a lot of Afghans working in education in Kabul.

And since when does $4000 in a danger zone constitute an egregiously high salary? It is in fact barely a professional salary. K-12 schoolteachers in Houston average about that. Some rotation EFL jobs not only in godforsaken Libya but in more pleasing locations in the world earn 50% more than that. IMHO, equating the modest $48K annual salary with economic imperialism promotes two things: the idea that we are low-level semiprofessionals, and (2) the contempt with which university personnel already view EFL instructors.
mistral

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Salaries in Afghanistan Reply with quote

I meant over $4,000 net, full board & lodging paid for, gym membership, 3 flights per annum back home or cash equivalent, health insurance, pension scheme. Yes, locals could easily do the job but USAID/World Bank Inc insist on supplying their own infantry.
eslbiz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Silence Reply with quote

Hmmm, I find it curious that teachers, barmen, bouncers, mercenaries, etc - i.e. those who ARE working in Afghanistan do not participate in such forums. Or I haven't found a suitable forum yet.
trapezius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go work as a truckdriver in Iraq... $200K US Dollar Bucks is no joke. Especially if you are only driving a truck.
dime a dozen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, eslbiz. You'll need it if your CV highlights are the nationality of your passport, your face, your native language and your willingness to live in a less than desirable location. Gentle advice to alter your CV if such be the case.

The War on Terror has meant an abundance of work and money for many, and the bonanza will probably continue a little longer. There is some silly money paid in Afghanistan, and I know of people in counter narcotics, police training, security, capacity building for governance and others taking out between 15 and 25K USD pm. It's highly lucrative, but in all cases we are talking about people who are qualified and experienced and on top of their game or people who have the right connections. No room for an adventurer without these essentials.

For TESOL, you should try the American University of Afghanistan. You'll pick up about 50K USD pa. They used to insist on a Masters in TESOL or related field, but are now giving jobs to teachers with a degree and teaching certificate. I heard they will give a job to nearly anyone. The AUAf is a miserable penance, but it won't matter if you have low expectations. You can probably lie in your CV to fill out your work experience. AUAf is on such shaky legs that nobody there will pick up on it.

Once you get in there you can start to network. The right network will get you where you want to go even without quals and experience.

Best of luck, eslbiz.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dime a dozen wrote:
You can probably lie in your CV to fill out your work experience.

Did you do the same in your CV, dime dozen?

Quote:
Go work as a truckdriver in Iraq... $200K US Dollar Bucks is no joke. Especially if you are only driving a truck.

Do you want him to be killed in Ali Baba mission?
Do you want him to be chopped by the daisy-chaining 155mm shells on the side of the road?
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God Bless on all you do, I've given my humble two-cents worth. If you catch a round from either direction...it's all on you...you can't talk someone bent on suicide offa ledge.

NCTBA
dime a dozen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, 007; no, my CV stands as it is; warts and all. I suggest eslbiz dresses the CV with smoke and mirrors while assuming him-her to be a bit of a lightweight; concluded opinion extrapolated from the post only. Also, I'm saying with regret that the AUAf has sunk to such a nadir that the BS won't even be detected. Things there are not well.

Hello, NCTBA: your humble two cents worth well esteemed. Afghanistan is certainly dangerous.
mistral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: auaf Reply with quote

The American University of Afghanistan is merely part of America's "presence" in Kabul. It is not a university.
dime a dozen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American University of Afghanistan is attempting to become a university; it's not yet a university.

First attempt for accreditation (I don't know with which US body) is scheduled for around 2010 (maybe 2011). Since funding relies almost exclusively on USAID, the current admin has been jiggling the spreadsheets to show requisite growth to meet stategic goals, the fattening of the undergraduate intake, by dropping the UG entry requirements. Hence, a significant proportion of the UG body have intermediate (even pre-intermediate) level English language proficiencies while trying to function in an advanced language medium; it doesn't auger well for accreditation, but it won't matter because the managers picking up the six figure salaries today are only in for the short haul. Who cares? They won't even be here.

Like much of the scamming in the War on Terror, the fiasco is costing American taxpayers a fortune while a cadre rip off the budget.

In any case, the university's function is to build the future leadership of Afghanistan in terms that are decidedly pro-US. This implies all the trimmings including democracy. I doubt that Afghanistan can become a replica of the US. Such a mission is absurd.
Sheikh N Bake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich would be a perfect fit in Afghanistan. The mind boggles at the opportunities.
eslbiz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: food for thought Reply with quote

I won't go into specifics here ('gotta protect my contacts) but I notice two things from people on the ground with experience working in Afghanistan, neither of whom, as far as I know have posted here.

1. Lying seems to be acceptable way of doing business in Afghanistan job market. It's not how I have ever gotten a job, however I was explicitly told that a certain job opening would require me to be 'creative' and that they would never check.

2. The NGO world seems to be a bit well.. cultish and a bit of a scam. When I asked one person employed in Afghanistan who was on holiday elsewhere, why they seem to want workers who have worked within the 'development' marketplace, he suggested it was because they want people who have learned to keep their mouths shut about budgetary waste and other scandals.

Hey, I just want to earn an honest (BIG) buck.

The economy of USA/Canada is going down the toilet and I am ready to suck on the teat of the state if need be, and thereby abandon all my libertarian/anarchist principles for survival. Gotta pay those medical bills for family back home.
dime a dozen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: the suck Reply with quote

Outstanding stuff, eslbiz! Apart from the nationality of your passport, your face, your native language and your willingness to live in a less than desirable location, we can add the distinction of a readiness to lie, scam and suck. Hope you find youself on the team you deserve the soonest.
matthew156

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do you get the courage to go teach in these places. Are there going to be new professions like warzone teachers? I can see the humanitarian plight to help the wounded and starving but how does endangering your life justify the acquisition of English to an Afgani? My sister used to fly to Kandahar as a cargo pilot and she would tell me the conditions as they were landing and were on the tarmac was pretty gnarly with cannons and gunfire being heard and muzzle flashes seen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: