Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PhD in Humanities
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kittyfye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, VS~
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus H. Key-ricst.(Don' really know how to spell it!) hasn't this thread gone on as much as possible???

NCTBA
kittyfye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread will go on forever!! :^D
cmann

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kittyfye you donít stand a chance at AUB, they take a dim view of new PhDís but why not try the ďUniversityĒ of Balamand in North Lebanon. They are always looking for English and Humanities Profs. Pay: around $36000 befor tax for PhD's, housing cost to you; $400 per month, they will give you $3000 onetime settling in allowance. Benefits are not good, housing superb, location lousy but nice views, the town is 20 kís down the hill and no transportation at the weekends so you have to buy a car and they are expensive and academic life 0, but hey it is a job. The English department did have a good reputation based on the then chair who they got rid of, now itís the pits. I visited Balamand several times when my friend taught in the EFL department and he left after one year, he hated the place. The EFL faculty gets much lower pay ($26.000) but free housing or did then. I know someone who still works there who quite likes it but says that the academic administration is the worst she has ever had to contend with, the Faculty of Arts is run like a grade school!! Sorry I donít know about other universities in the region I teach in Albania.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kittyfye wrote:
This thread will go on forever!! :^D

Yeah, VS clipped my ears over my last post here...you people are so "hoity-doeity"...I jes' can't keep up!

NCTBA Very Happy
cmann

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey NCTBA ,

If the posts dried up you would have to get a life.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmann wrote:
Hey NCTBA ,

If the posts dried up you would have to get a life.

Ouch! And from a GD Canuck! Laughing

NCTBA

P.s.- For the MODs GD= Gosh Darn!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See what happens when you try to be the "thread police" NCTBA? Even the Canadians go after you. Laughing

Kittyfye... I expect that you will have the same problem with a new PhD that those with new MAs have... getting that first job.

Only the universities that have been around awhile need someone in your area of expertise, and then they have been around long enough to want (and get) people who aren't entry level. So it goes... Wink

All you can do is apply and see what happens...

VS
eha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'....the academic administration is the worst she has ever had to contend with, the Faculty of Arts is run like a grade school!!...'

All universities, all over the world, are heading that way; it's all part of the lemming-like rush to attain 'accreditation', which appears to be based exclusively on accountability and quantification. Both of these result in the kind of bureaucratic pettiness that wastes all the creative energy that ought to be going into what used to be called 'education'. Both spell, as an ex-colleague used to call it, "Death to the Spirit" for both teachers and students. I'm sorry for young teachers starting out these days; I think if I had to face decades of increasing surveillance, teaching by checklist, diminished attention to content, I'd--- well, better not say. It's a grim prospect.