Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the proper attire for an interview?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: What's the proper attire for an interview? Reply with quote

Can anyone give me a few tips as to what is considered appropriate to wear to an interview? I have two interviews with schools in Dubai.
sarina

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: edit Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by sarina on Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In KSA, trousers are considered most improper attire for respectable Muslim ladies! I was not allowed to wear them at work, even under my abaya.

However, I'm sure the same does not apply in the liberal UAE!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Megs and all,

Well, I might do the 'dress for success' look for an interview, but I never wore it while teaching in the Gulf. It was too hot for most of the year. Fine for an interview though. Sarina's advice was good. The key word is conservative. Keep the skirts below the knee - the further the better in my opinion. By the time I left the Gulf, all of my skirts were flowing to the floor - cool comfortable and always appropriate. Smile

Most places that I taught had no rule against trousers/slacks, but you may encounter places that don't allow it. I almost never wore them. They are very uncomfortable in the heat and humidity - there is a reason that the traditional dress for both sexes is similar in the Gulf. I had one pair of jeans for cool winter evenings. BTW, Sarina, when I was in Egypt, I wore slacks more often, but it is so much cooler there.

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
By the time I left the Gulf, all of my skirts were flowing to the floor - cool comfortable and always appropriate. Smile

And no one ever guessed that you weren't wearing anything under them. Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now Now Bindair---

Wouldn't you like to know---

Are you trying to give me a bad reputation? Smile

VS
(who used to work with Mr Dundat)
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd though it may sound, given the choice between an abaya/headscarf ensemble and a frumpy a-line skirt (not that I'm suggesting that anyone here is frumpy!) I'd go for the former any day!

They actually have a few pretty slinky numbers in abaya shops these days, tucked away behind the counters where the muttawwain can't see them.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, Cleo---

I don't mind frumpy. But, then I have a few years on you. Smile

Once you spend a little time in a place like Abu Dhabi, which has the same heat as Riyadh with the addition of 90% humidity - then you may not find that abaya/headscarf bit quite so appealing. Cool

You know the old saying, it's not the heat, it's the humidity. It didn't take me very long in the Gulf until cool and comfortable was more important than not being frumpy. But to be honest, I like long skirts (don't have any A-lines though). And this is from a person who lives in jeans in the US - haven't had a skirt on since I moved back.

VS
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Abu Dhabi isn't quite so hot as Riyadh, but you're right, there is the humidity factor!

Plus, the wonderful thing about abayas is that you can - with the right abaya of course - get away with wearing practically nothing underneath. (Got that, Mr. Muttawwa?)

Evil or Very Mad

Covers a multitude of sins. In every sense.
Pat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megs,

Dress conservatively, but the idea of a head scarf or abaya for an interview is way over the top. Represent yourself as you would in a classroom in Dubai. If you are not a muslim and not from a muslim country, to portray yourself as one won't go over well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: