Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic and Window tint
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disregardedknowledge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Traffic and Window tint Reply with quote

Is it just me, or do some of you just want to yank your hair out in frustration from the constant traffic jams in Doha along with the crazy driving. I honestly can't see some of these guys driving the way they do and still getting a license. And I am not trying to compare Qatar to the Emirates, but it seems like the construction in front of City Center has been continuing for about 7 or 8 months now. That long for one small strip of street?!!!!!! If it had been Abu Dhabi or Dubai, I think it would have been done within a month!

Is it just me or does it seem the majority of drivers drive as if they were the only vehicle on the road?!

Window TINT! To help hide my angry facial expressions and constant swearing to myself from the stress caused from driving in Doha, I want some window tint for my car. Can anyone STEER me in the right direction on where to go to get some window tint. Why is it I see some cars with tint on the front windows and back rear window? I thought that was illegal. If you know any place I could go to tint ALL my windows, please let me know!!!!!!!!
thursday12

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car dealer told me they can only tint the rear seat windows, the driver and front passenger windows have to be clear. The police occasionally give fines but can't catch everybody who tints the front side windows.
The traffic fines here are very expensive, especially if ya go thru a red light! Beware. 6,000 QR - almost 2,000 bucks!!!!!

Traffic situation here is real bad; many main roads under construction and not enough traffic police on the roads. Yesterday the traffic was unbelievable. Took people hours to get from A to B. Maybe in two years time when the roadworks are finished but they'll probably start new roadworks.
Hannibal_the_Conquerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a place on Rayyan road, towards Sports round about. It is called Johnson's Window tint. It is by the Pizza Hut, Subway and KFC in the service station. They will tint your front, side and back window. They will tell you it is not allowed, but they will still do it for you. They put a very low tint on the front and back, so that it cuts glare and heat, but not really noticeable. I wouldn't go heavy tint on the back or driver and front passenger window, though. It is just asking for trouble, and if your car is older and you need to get it inspected, you are likely to get busted.

Good luck!
thursday12

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ain't had a chance ta check this joint out. Traffic been really crazy the last few days since National Day - people got careless 'cause the police were lax.
One real good thing if yer a law-abidin person - lotta radar and cameras bein put up.
-if yer not law-abidin, good luck wid the fines!!!
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was riding in a window-tint car and we got haule over by the police. A warning because the driver was able to negotiate something (he's local) but if it had been my car, I would have had to pay a fine.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a recent episode of road rage. One angry driver shot another for flashing him. The other driver died. Avoid the Messaid Road at night. Beward of flashers, just move, don't get them mad, or else!!!
wilberforce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most motorists resort to �aggressive driving�
By Arvind Nair

Gulf Times:

Ilori � be courteous
MOST drivers in Doha resort to �aggressive driving� which invites financial and legal penalties.
Traffic safety adviser at the National Committee for Prevention of Road Accidents, Ademola Ilori, pointed out that aggressive driving was one of the major causes of road accidents.
Actions such as running red lights, improper passing, overtaking on the right, improper lane change, failing to yield, improper turn, running stop signs, following too closely, careless driving, and speeding can be used as indicators of aggressive driving.
All these actions are traffic violations and punishable.
An �aggressive driver� is generally defined as a driver who forces his way ahead in traffic by engaging in reckless and dangerous manoeuvres. Anger, impatience, competitiveness and vindictiveness characterise aggressive drivers.
�Remember the consequences of these violations in terms of the number of crashes, injuries, and fatalities that they cause, not forgetting how long one has to wait (hours) at the minor accident scene for traffic investigators before one can continue the journey. In addition, one may have to make several trips to the insurance offices, repair shops for estimates and the time to go to traffic offices for police reports�.
�If one bears in mind certain tips, one can avoid incidents with aggressive or violent drivers - and help us avoid such behavior ourselves.�
�To begin with, being a courteous driver can help you avoid being a victim of road rage. To be courteous, signal every time you merge, change lanes or turn; and use your horn only when needed to get another driver�s attention to prevent an accident. If another driver wants to get in front of you, let him or her go ahead. If you and another driver see a parking space at the same time, let the other person have it,� he advised.
Secondly, do not offend. �Certain behaviours are more likely to cause an angry response in drivers. To protect yourself, avoid cutting someone off. Always make sure you have plenty of room before merging onto traffic. Use your turn signal before moving over.
�Drive carefully within the speed limit in the middle or right lane. If someone wants to pass you and you�re in the left lane, move over to the right lane when it�s safe to do so and let the person pass. Allow more than enough room between your car and the car ahead of you and never make obscene or condescending gestures towards another driver.
�If someone is acting aggressively toward you, give the person lots of room. If another driver is directing aggressive behaviour toward you, put as much room between your vehicle and the other car. Never pull off to the side of the road to settle things.
�If another driver is following you or trying to start a fight, pull off the road in a safe area and use your mobile phone to call the police. If you don�t have a mobile phone, drive to a place with lots of people - a police station or store. Don�t get out of your car when the person is there. Forget winning. Driving isn�t a contest or a race.�
�Get help if you often feel angry when you drive. Books or courses on anger management and stress reduction can help you make driving a more pleasant experience for yourself and others. Seek help from a mental-health professional if you can�t reduce your anger on your own.�
Ilori advised motorists to give themselves extra time by leaving home early. �Congestion makes drivers feel frustrated and if they are hard pressed for time, they are more likely to become aggressive.�
mesquite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The driving is getting worse and a lot of drivers are crazy. At least I don't have far to drive to work so I don't have to deal with this crap on a daily basis. Driving at night is deadly, so while I hate living out in the boonies,
at least I don't have to battle traffic in the early A.M.
NASA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a day at Sealine. Deadly area.

Check youtube for clips of horrific crashes. Unbelievable. I will never go to the Sealine area again unless I'm in a Hummer.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right NASA, the Sealine zone is deadly at weekends. Nice schoolteachers shouldn't be out there. It's asking for trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=282-1i3qenE

Head on crash in desert in Qatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzAeLYBO1F

Qatar's race to stop road deaths - 12 Oct
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Doha Metro Reply with quote

The Metro project is being finalized, finally.

Quote:
Doha Metro railway project

2/25/2009 2:24:47
Source ::: QNA

The Emir H H Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, H H Sheikha Mozah bint Nasser Al Missned, and the Prime Minister and Foreign Minister H E Sheikh Hamad bin Jassem bin Jabor Al Thani being briefed on the steps and phases taken for the railway project, during their visit at the Qatari Diar Real Estate Investment Company yesterday. The Project aims to link Doha with other towns as well as with Bahrain and other GCC states for transporting passengers and goods.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: bikers Reply with quote

A new nuisance on the roads is the bikers, some of them roar past in gangs of 6 or more, late night drivers on the Corniche, beware.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: grim statistics Reply with quote

The road safety mantra: Buckle up, keep quiet
Web posted at: 4/1/2009 3:11:26
Source ::: The PENINSULA / BY RAYNALD RIVERA

DOHA: Speakers at the second annual Automobile Safety Week yesterday at the College of North Atlantic Qatar underscored the need to use seat belts at all times and avoiding distractions

when driving.

�Seat belts still remain the most effective means of reducing road fatalities. It reduces risks by 45 percent,� Ademola Ilori, Safety Advisor at the Traffic Department, informed more than 100 students and faculty members at the CNA-Q Main Auditorium yesterday.

In his talk on �Promoting Road Safety�, Ilori noted that though there had been a reduction in the number of fatalities in the country this year compared last year, the figure was still a cause for alarm. With 54 fatalities this year compared to 62 last year, there had been a 12.9 percent drop in road fatalities.

Most of those who are involved in road accidents are aged between 21 and 30 years, he said, adding that most of the fatalities occurred in the north of the country � the favourite place for youth to hold car races.

With advances in technology come new distractions in driving, among them televisions in cars, Internet and mobile phones, Ilori explained. Some common activities such as eating, drinking, talking to passengers and lighting cigarettes are also a cause of distraction while driving,

he added.

Aside from using seat belts, Ilori suggested driving below the posted speed limit, having a roll bar in the car, not using a mobile phone while driving and even walking as precautionary measures to avoid accidents.

Al Yazeedi revealed the HMC had received 5,022 trauma patients from 2007 to 2009 and 1, 984 of them required admission to the hospital. She urged the society to provide adequate support to accident victims, who many times face crises like feeling isolated. Ahmad, on the other hand, gave a poignant speech encouraging the audience, especially the students, to exercise extra caution while driving.

THE PENINSULA
wilberforce

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost got done for by one of those red devil bikers doing a wheelie on the Corniche. They're manic. Watch out for them. They cruise in gangs of 6 -10 bikers. Late night roarings are their specialty.
Sheika Taylfetha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Traffic and window tint Reply with quote

Hi I'm new to Dave's and will be moving to Qatar to begin teaching soon. Having read these posts I was hoping someone could tell me whether it's possible to get around Doha reasonably well without a car Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: