Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Negotiating a Pay Raise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nmarie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Negotiating a Pay Raise Reply with quote

Is it even possible in TEFL?

One of the companies that I work for is pleading for me to take on more hours. The reason that I give the other employer priority is that she pays me four euros more per hour. Do I have any negotiating leverage? I have not worked in the TEFL private sector long enough to know if pay raise requests are typically honored.

Thanks for any insight.
bsjess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Language School Pay Raises Reply with quote

The timing of your question is perfect. This time of year language schools send out their "nouveau tarifs" announcements. Prices of the classes go up while teacher salaries stay put. (Some schools may not increase their class prices, but it's normal practice, and often expected).

Pay raises are rare. A few schools do it automatically, and deserve our applause. Many flat out deny the teacher a raise. Most wait and see if the teacher sets up that "meeting" with the school's director to negotiate. Sadly, most teachers don't know they can negotiate, others don't think they can.

Hey, as my mom always says, "Asking is free." You've got nothing to lose. And the school has everything to lose if you decide to walk if you've been denied that raise for too long. I did that, and it felt so good. Another school that was prepared to negotiate was right around the corner.

The school that's vying for your time, well, time to negotiate. Give priority to schools that pay you better and are more open to pay raises. Use your credentials, your experience, your history with the school, positive student testimonials, and your English for Specific Purposes ties (e.g. English for Human Resources, or presentations training, or English for Real Estate) as ammunition.

One more thing: Aim high. Start with a high raise (between 10-15%), then be prepared to go down from there (e.g. 8%).

NB: This advice goes for independents too.
Nmarie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your advice, Bsjess.

It is good to know about the January fee hikes. I've discovered, however, that this particular TEFL company pays a universal teaching rate, so length of experience plays no role in the hourly rate potential. I've decided that they are better left as a filler for the time being...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: