Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Degree Authentication

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nowasta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Degree Authentication Reply with quote

Hey there Folks! The MLI is currently requiring all of its employees to get their degrees authenticated by their appropriate governmental agencies (i.e.State Department for Americans and local embassy for all others), the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Higher Education. It appears the biggest problem has been the final stage of the process at the Ministry of Higher Education. It seems as though the ministry has no way of evaluating and recognizing distance/correspondence MA/MEd degrees that many people have...even if they come from prestigous universities or were actually done in a classroom setting with professors in an out-of-country scenario (like the MA or EdD degrees currently on offer in Dubai from some of the British universities). Some people may slip through the cracks but those most likely affected appear to be people who did their degree by distance from a country other than their nationality. We shall see what happens with this one as it may have far-reaching consequences. Another problem is the fact that the ministry requires an authenticated copy as well as the original of both your MA degree and transcripts with the package that you submit. While not difficult for many, Americans cannot do this in the UAE and appear to have to get this done in the US through various channels and different levels of government which is not only time-consuming but also expensive when you live overseas.
I have been told by others that everyone teaching in the UAE must now do this. Could people at the various universities please let me know if you also have to complete this process as well as this is starting to create some serious nervousness and agitation amongst the staff at MLI. Thanks.
holbrook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're always finding new ways to screw with people's lives over there. Here at HCT there has been no mention of such bulls..t! It seems we're excempt. Also, nothing here about distance degrees being anything less than any other degrees. If a fully accredited University gives you a diploma then there should be no question. Do those brainsurgeons over there in GHQ think that they know better than the Univerities that issue the degrees, whether or not someone has infact earned their degree?

Just where in the world do they think they're going to find educated, professional teachers with lots of international experience and MA's in TESOL that didn't do any distance education?!

Morons!
AbuZayed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Degree Authentication Reply with quote

Nowasta - if you look at my postings on the subject on August 10 (Distance Masters), you will see that it's a BIG problem if your qualifcations were obtained via distance learning or part-time study in the UAE. The Ministry of Higher Education simply do NOT recognise them. Check at the Ministry yourself but I doubt if they've changed their policy. Best of luck.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I find it rather ironic that the same educational institutions who are always banging on about the importance of being computer literate, and who boast about how technologically progressive they are, still cannot find it in themselves to recognise on-line degrees!
mli_vet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:42 pm    Post subject: Degree Authentication Reply with quote

At first glance, this would seem to be a legitimate Confused request, but it does indeed cause a lot of headaches for staff worried about whether they'll be able to get their degrees authenticated in time for the next contract renewal.

Evidently, there have been some folks who as it turned out didn't have the degrees they said they did, so we can thank them for this tightening up on degree checks. Evil or Very Mad

It is an extremely BIG hassle to jump through these types of hoops, particularly since the GHQ Big Dogs think they can jerk the little dogs' chains any which way they want--Don't count on it, Lt. Cols. Mohammed/Abdullah/Jamal et al. (brainsugeons indeed!) These guys sit in their offices scheming new plans to make life miserable for their civilian underlings, as Holbrook suggests.

Prospective hires should consider these kinds of 'hoops' before making that final decision. Don't be duped Exclamation by those glib spiels at the upcoming interviews.

MLI Vet
Over and Out
nowasta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea there was a big discussion on this very topic last summer. I guess I didn't really follow the board closely during my holiday. Anyhow, Ministry of Higher Ed certification is now a reality for everyone at the MLI and it appears as though there may be about 15-20 people with distance degrees. Those currently employed may be able to stay (insert big Inshallah here!) but they will be paid on the BA salary scale...about a 1000 Dirham/month pay cut. Most are hoping to sneak through the process but many aren't holding out much hope. I guess my main reason for posting was that there very well could be an exodus in the near future if none can get their degrees authenticated/approved by those lovely and open-minded people in the ministry and I was wondering if this is only a requirement for those working directly for the government in the UAE. Many will likely be looking for other jobs and need to know if they can still work in the UAE or if they will have to move on. It seems as though it currently isn't a requirement at HCT, Zayed U. , U. of Sharjah, UAE U. etc. Could anyone comment on this?
I sincerely hope that those who are thinking of working at the MLI and interviewing at the upcoming conferences realize that they either won't be hired if they have a distance degree or they will not be able to renew their contract after 2 years because they won't be able to get their degree authenticated by the Minstry of Higher Educaction. Those working in other countries who are also thinking of doing a distance MA degree simply so they can come to the Middle East...or the UAE to be precise should think very hard about other possibilities. This is very serious.
p.s.abuzayed...what branch of GHQ did you work for if not at MLI?
Mark100

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical treatment of TESOL teachers.
Just another reason why this profession sucks.
UAE is not such a great destination these days with the declining dollar anyway.
How can they tell it is a distance MA? There is nothing on my masters to suggest that is was done by distance.
I suppose they can deduce by your resume where you were and do it that way.
holbrook

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How can they tell if your degree is distance Reply with quote

What I hear from the men on the inside over there at MLI is that they will be checking your passports to see if you have either a residence or education visa for that country for that time. If not then your degree can't be authenticated. The funny thing is that this will only apply to those teachers who did their degree in a country other than their own. If your say... Australian with a distance degree from an Australian university then you have no problem. Those guys at GHQ can't really read maps and so they'll just assume you did the degree in person. If your degree is from a country other than your own..... Sucks to be you! Even if you did attend the university in person it could be difficult to prove. Some countrys only issue 5 year passports. If you did your degree say.... 6 years ago then have fun proving that you were actually there.

Either way, as I said in my earlier post, they definately don't do this sort of stuff at HCT. Probably because they care about having the best teachers here. Not just the best photocopies of the best diplomas from the best schools. This is one place where experience and ability not only count but are respected.

The subject of my degree came up in my interview and I was asked my opinion about whether I thought a distance degree is comparible to in-residence degree. My answer was YES! My experience teaching and my ability to test my theories on a daily basis with my students was the best asset I had while studying. Hands down, the best.

I don't think you can count on GHQer to understand something like that. Just ask MLIvet. Like the rest of us MLI vets, he knows.
holbrook

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: escape Reply with quote

I wonder how many distance M.A. MLIer will be making the rounds at this years Tesol Arabia?
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only is the declining dollar likely to have an impact on non Americans considering the Gulf - as Mark has said - but I have heard on this board and elsewhere that MLI is not exactly a dream destination these days.

To be frank, I think these guys have a nerve!
nowasta

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holbrook...just wanted to clarify that it is not the MLI that is asking for the residence/education visas it is the Ministry of Higher Education that is responsible for that as part of your application. MLI simply wants all of it's teachers to have their MA degrees authenticated by this goofy Ministry. In addition, it appears as though "abuzayed" was correct when he/she said that the it doesn't really matter what your nationality is or what stamps you do or don't have in your passport as the Ministry directly contacts your respective university and asks what type of student you were (i.e. external-distance,on-campus-full or part time etc.) and what type of program you were enrolled in. This is not good folks! Do not say you haven't been warned. I am reminded of that Bob Marley song..."Exodus...we live in Babylon...Exodus...power to the people..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: