Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coming to Peru soon...lessons learned? and quest?s luggage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rucontent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Coming to Peru soon...lessons learned? and quest?s luggage Reply with quote

Well I am coming to Peru in about two weeks. 2/11 to be exact. I will be arriving in Lima late at night. I am thinking about getting a hostel in the miraflores area but I have some other questions feel free to answer them.

I have read many of the website resources about what to bring. However i typically pack too much and i need some advice on my particular situation.

I will be taking a training for TEFL in Cusco starting 2/23. But! On my list of things to do and see is Lima of course, Machu Picchu, etc...

But I may also stay longer to teach. So my trip is multipurpose. What is realistic as far as luggage goes?

1. Can i get by with one of those nifty backpack's people take around the world or will i at least have to have abackpack and maybe another handbag?

If I can buy a bunch of basic clothing(cheap) over there (tshirts, thick socks,etc), maybe i can get by with bringing less.

2. What should i bring that i cant get over there?

3. I have read over and over no-cotton, and i dont get it. is it because of the sweat then it gets damp and when you get cold you freeze? That would be ok but what am i supposed to bring silk t-shirts? not to keen on materials.

4. Any lessons learned about packing?

My biggest concern is that i will take more than i need and since i will be riding the busses often times, I dont want to be bogged down with all that crap.

Any worldly advice from the experts?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most everything you can get here. Unless you're big and tall, then bring your own shoes and clothes.

For me, things like contact solution and sunblock are super expensive so I get it from the US.

Lots of cheap clothing is available at Gamarra or even in parque kennedy in Miraflores, in La Quinta.

As far as your luggage. Put everything on your bed and see if it will fit in a backpack. Personally I'd bring a carryon as well, it can double as your back pack here to lug books.

Think about nice clothes for teaching.

Cotton, the thing is that it wrinkles. So get a cotton blend and you'll never have to iron.

Silk, maybe if that's what you usually wear. Bring things that you can layer.

My lesson about packing after I spent 5 weeks in the US. I didn't use half the stuff. So leave half the stuff and bring double the money

Take basic clothing for the season that you'll be here in. Then you can buy stuff here for the other season. DOn't bring too much paper, like books. Ditto for shampoo, etc. Bring travel sizes and get stuff here.
rucontent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

Cotton, the thing is that it wrinkles. So get a cotton blend and you'll never have to iron.

Never? ever ever? wow... y dont i know that?(rhetorical)

Hey how come?...........what a second..............

Thanks for all the responses on all tree of dem....
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ironed for years. Yea cotton blends!
keepwalking

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By 'tall' naturegirl m,eans over 5 foot 7 if you are female or over size 39 in shoes for women or 42 for men. I was in Peru for 3 years and NEVER found a pair of shoes to fit me! Can't wait to be back in the UK where book shops are full of decent books and shoe shop workers don't collapse in laughter at the sight of my feet!
AnnitaSudAmerica

Location: Yellow Springs, Ohio (por ahora/for right now...until Dec.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Buying shoes and pants Reply with quote

I moved to Lima and didn't even want to start looking for shoes. I knew there wouldn't be any in my size. So, I crossed the border to Chile and Argentina and that's where I bought my tennis shoes and pants. They actually have these things for people like me who are 5'9"and have size 42 feet. So, it is possible to get these things in South America, just not in Peru.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
keepwalking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only little people stuff in Ecuador, despite all the American malls. That was slightly more convenient than going to Argentina from Trujillo! But I'm in Argentina now and it is so good to not be the tallest person in town, nor the only one with blue eyes. I almost fit in here!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: