Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hays Education

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austeacher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Hays Education Reply with quote

Considering working for Hays? Then don't bother. Why would you want to deal with recruiters who are barely out of their Teens and do not know the difference between a PGCE and a Primary or Secondary Teaching diploma.

Why would you want to deal with recruiters who place a crapshoot 1 month ESL certificate in the same basket with a Graduate Diploma in TESOL? Mind you the Grad Dip in TESOL is recognised by IB schools and Australian government regulated schools. That is not the case with certificates. I must be wrong somewhere, damned!

They don't know what curriculum means yet they allways open the job advertisements with statements such as this: "My client school teaches the IB UK curriculum" . Thats odd, I have never heard a "Client" teaching an entire International Baccalaureate curriculum. If that person alone is teaching all the methods then why do they need more teachers at the school?

I also thought IB was just that, "International baccalaureate". And not the IB UK version. I see, the UK version must be a new curriculum: "Underachieving Knucklehead".

I thought a Graduate Diploma in TESOL was designed for the IB program. Oh well I was wrong again. The IB is designed for Chinese students who have spoken English all their lives, despite the fact they grew up on a 3rd world farm in Chengdu and their parents have been studying English since birth too. Welcome to Chengdu, we barely have enough money to buy rice, but we speak perfect English. All of us!

However, don't feel dejected contact Hays today. We will endeavour to reply to your e-mail. We are drunk on cheap champage all the time, so please be patient as your call is important to us. But we apologise in advance if our computers are not working as we are busy drinking "Lattes" at Cafe Morontonian.

The Hays mission statement reads like this: Inspire, Teach. Contact us today but do not expect us to know what we are doing. We are in control of your future. We know nothing about education however,we are turkeycocks because we can hire who ever we like; even though we barely have year 12 qualifications ourselves.

Have a nice dream

Last edited by austeacher on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Hays Education Reply with quote

austeacher wrote:
Considering working for Hays? Then don't bother. Why would you want to deal with recruiters who are barely out of their Teens and do not know the difference between a PGCE and a Primary or Secondary Teaching diploma.

Why would you want to deal with recruiters who place a crapshoot 1 month ESL certificate in the same basket with a Graduate Diploma in TESOL? Mind you the Grad Dip in TESOL is recognised by IB schools and Australian government regulated schools. That is not the case with certificates. I must be wrong somewhere, damned!

They don't know what curriculum means yet they allways open the job advertisements with statements such as this: "My client school teaches the IB UK curriculum" . Thats odd, I have never heard a "Client" teaching an entire International Baccalaureate curriculum. If that person alone is teaching all the methods then why do they need more teachers at the school?

I also thought IB was just that, "International baccalaureate". And not the IB UK version. I see, the UK version must be a new curriculum: "Underachieving Knucklehead".

I thought a Graduate Diploma in TESOL was designed for the IB program. Oh well I was wrong again. The IB is designed for Chinese students who have spoken English all their lives, despite the fact they grew up on a 3rd world farm in Chengdu and their parents have been studying English since birth too. Welcome to Chengdu, we barely have enough money to buy rice, but we speak perfect English. All of us!

However, don't feel dejected contact Hays today. We will endeavour to reply to your e-mail. We are drunk on cheap champage all the time, so please be patient as your call is important to us. But we apologise in advance if our computers are not working as we are busy drinking "Lattes" at Cafe Morontonian.

The Hays mission statement reads like this: Inspire, Teach. Contact us today but do not expect us to know what we are doing. We are in control of your future. We know nothing about education however,we are turkeycocks because we can hire who ever we like; even though we barely have year 12 qualifications ourselves.

Have a nice dream

What a lovely rant. I'm sure you feel better now. Can we start pointing out all the grammatical & reasoning errors now? Wink
austeacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Yes it's true, you are way way off course. And it is not a rant, but most certainly a diatribe.
austeacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Hays Update Reply with quote

http://mycareer.com.au/jobs/asia-pacific/education/early-childhood/6848066+early+years+teachers+yr+olds.aspx?style=enhanced&s=101

Early Years Teachers (2-4 yr olds)

Asia-Pacific -

British International School Prep - 12 Located in Suzhou China Amazing Package on Offer
My Client is a prestigious British International School that is well established and highly reputable. With numerous campuses around Asia and continuously growing they are in constant need of teaching professionals. Their campus in Suzhou China requires Early Years teachers to teach 2-4 year olds. You must be Degree Qualified and have 2 years teaching experience preferably with British Curriculum knowledge. The positions are to start in August 2009

The headmaster is interviewing now. Apply now to avoid missing out on an amzing opportunity.
Suzhou is considered the Oriental Venice" because of it is large surroundings of water, it is full of Culture, Historical sights as well as having the most amazing architecture.

To be eligible to apply for this position you must have an appropriate Australian or New Zealand work visa.

By looking at this ad you would think they ought to be recruiting in the U.K. If they expect a teacher to have U.K knowledge of their curriculum then what on earth is a British teacher doing in Australia, waiting for the cows to come home? Better still, what is a Kiwi or Aussie with U.K experience doing waiting for a job in China to turn up on their doorstep when they themselves can scan and research the International School's webpages. I did.

I see, the British teacher must be in Australia to be hired for this job and they must have knowledge of a U.K curriculum. It is no longer an International curriculum, or IB for that matter; but it is a U.K curriculum. Then why don't Hays simply advertise it on a U.K site. I must be wrong again.

I reiterate that to teach English at Primary or Secondary level in a country where LOTE is spoken then it is clearly evident it is an ESL informed environment. Therefore an ESL teacher is required; whether it is an international school or local government or non-government regulated school.

Another thing, if the teacher must have an Aussie or Kiwi citizenship, then what are the chances of the teacher having U.K curriculum knowledge? It would then mean the Aussie or Kiwi would have to have been raised and educated in the U.K; and then they would have migrated to Australia and received citizenship. Alternately they would have to have spent a large chunk of their working lives in England. A curriculum is forever evolving
lozwich

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't.

What about the Australians or New Zealanders who go to the UK to teach with their working visa and then come home??

Duh.

Maybe you need to accept that you aren't qualified for this job and move on.
austeacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Duh to you Reply with quote

If I were an Aussie or Kiwi Teacher in the UK I would not be looking for work in Asia. But I would be looking for work on the European mainland where I would be appreciated for my qualifications and have a better quality of life. Why on Earth would you want to come back to Australia or New Zealand to get a job in China when one can use a recruiter in Europe to land a job in Asia?

It sounds like Hays have a lot of time on their hands waiting for Kiwis and Aussies to be repatriated. I doubt any of the above mentioned teachers would place themselves in a sedentary position in the UK for a job to arise in China.

You don't know what my quals are and nor am I about to tell you either.
Johnflowers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Never too late to reply to posts I guess. I had problems with Hays education too. I must have e-mailed them a few times before got a reply. They then told me a few people quit, that was why I never got a reply. Something is amiss with Hays. Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: