Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian International School, Bangalore /What is it like ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaharaDesert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Canadian International School, Bangalore /What is it like ? Reply with quote

Hi

My wife and I are thinking of teaching in this school.
Does anyone have any information about what it is like to work there ?
What is it like to like to live in Bangalore ?
Is the housing nice ?
Does the school have nice facilities ?
Any information would be great!
squindia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the Canadian International school sorry...

But I lived in Bangalore for 2 years and loved it! It's a cosmo city of 12 million with lots of traffic and bad pollution. However it has a lot to offer and I miss it like crazy. There are a lot of young professional Indians from all over the country which makes it an interesting mix of people. There are lots of things to do, film societies, book clubs, lounges, bars, pubs, live music, cafes, dance clubs, and all kinds of delicious food. The city itself is nice and its easy to become a part of the community wherever you live.

It's also easy to fly all over India as Bangalore is a major city and in general flights around India are inexpensive.

Good luck with your decision!

squid
RedheadAbroad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian International School is a nice school. The teachers that I have met are great. They are wonderful people and overall good teachers. The facility is nice, especially for India. It's located in the middle of a farm.. so in order to get to the campus, you have to drive through a banana orchard!! I thought that was rather neat, and very much how India is.

The students are not that well-behaved. Most of them just try to get by and really only care about not failing. However, there are some gems.

I volunteered at this school with the secondary math instructor from September to December and I enjoyed working with her. The more advanced students were fantastic. But, grades 9 and 10 needed quite a bit of coaxing.

Overall, it's a good school. The principal is a wonderful lady and the teachers are very well meaning. The school is clean (unlike most of the city). The school is actually outside of the city, about halfway between the city and the airport. The pay, I think, is nice, especially since it is an international school.

The quality of the housing will depend on where you live. I lived about 45 minutes from the school in Whitefield in a neighborhood that was reminiscent of southern California and aptly named Palm Meadows. If you live in the city, you'll most likely be in an apartment and some of those apartments are REALLY nice. Just don't expect all the luxuries of home - like 24/7 electricity or running water.

I can't say that I was all that fond of Bangalore because of all the noise, traffic and pollution. I'm currently Mysore, about three hours away and I love it! It's less crowded and I've been able to meet more people. But, if you are interested in big city life, Bangalore could be a nice place. India is a beautiful country and I would recommend CIS. It is a good school, and the experience of teaching in India would be a good one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: