Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching Business English and Other Types

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrWongFeiHung

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Teaching Business English and Other Types Reply with quote

Question

Hello all,

I have little knowledge of teaching in the UAE and the Middle East and would value any information. Before proceeding, I apologize for being redundant as I�m pretty sure that this type of question has been asked many times on this forum.

After viewing several postings, it became apparent that many of the people on this forum seeking jobs in the Middle East were well qualified (i.e., possessing a B.A. or M.A in English or linguistics, B.Ed, M.Ed., extensive experience teaching English, etc.). I have university credentials but they are not in the area of English or the liberal arts; I have a bachelor�s degree in engineering and will soon complete my master�s degree in engineering and business, both from a Canadian university. I do, however, have experience teaching English and other subjects to foreigners and plan on acquiring my TEFL/TESOL certification by April or May.

What are my options for teaching English in the UAE based on my qualifications (both actual and impending)? Additionally, since my education is more on the technical and business side, are there any opportunities for teaching �engineering English� or business English? If so, where would they be found? I could also teach some computer skills (nothing fancy, mainly Microsoft applications such as MS Access, Excel, etc). Would this be marketable in the UAE or the ME?

I�ve contacted some local TEFL and they have assured me that there are many opportunities for teaching English in the UAE requiring only a bachelor�s degree and a TEFL certificate. Are the institutions that take people with these minimal qualifications reputable?

Thank you. Regards.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear "Dr"

"Are the institutions that take people with these minimal qualifications reputable?"

The quick and easy answer is many are not and some are. Smile The best thing is to check any place that makes you an offer on this board - and hopefully someone can tell you the latest news on them.

I recommend browsing the thread in the Middle East section and the Job Information Journal.

Good Luck

VS
DrWongFeiHung

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello VS,

Thanks for the informaiton. Idea

I'll post up the names of institutions that make me offers.

Regards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: