Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexican sign language, signaling and body talk -

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Mexican sign language, signaling and body talk - Reply with quote

deleted

not related to TESOL

Last edited by Dragonlady on Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs L

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the two you asked about dragonlady, but I'll check with hubby when he gets home from work and let you know if he can offer an explanation. Two I still use-

Patting my right elbow with my left palm to indicate somebody is cheap.

Wiggling my right index finger when someone else is talking to indicate that I agree with what they're saying.

I'm guessing there might be some regional variation in these signals. It's pretty complicated for us foreigners though. We don't just have a new language to learn but a whole host of hand gestures too!![/i]
El Gallo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wagging of the right index finger at you mean no. It's useful in tourist traps or intersections to shoo away vendors but in my native culture it is very rude (like, "shame on you, you are a very bad boy") This was so annoying to me when I arrived in Mexico, I threatened to break my friends finger if he continued wagging it at me. Now I do it and forget when I go to the States. When my brother's friend offered me a cigarette and I wagged my finger at him, my brother asked me what the hell I thought I was doing.

I was angry the first time a student did this to me in class, but now I just teach them the cultural difference.

By the way, is it true it's rude to point your finger at someone in England?
El Gallo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the banging on the back of the truck signal when one is backing up.

In Chiapas, a continual "bang, bang, bang, bang" means keep on backing up.
One louder "bang" means stop or, more often, that you have already hit something Razz
deeb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Mrs L and El Gallo are both right about the wagging/wiggling finger. The side-to-side motion is no and the crooked up-and-down motion of the index finger means yes or I agree.

I personally like the motion of slicing your hand across your chest, like where your seat belt goes, to signify Share!
Samantha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic, Dragon Lady. It's true a conversation can be carried on across a crowded room. I've always thought it very clever.

I haven't noticed the last two mentioned by DL either so maybe sign language is regional as well. Here are two very commonly used signals in my area. Extend right arm slightly, elbow bent, and put thumb and index finger together (pointing left). It means "just a second" or "I'll be right with you". The other is extending right arm slightly, point downward with index finger and make a rapid circular motion. That means "I will be right back".

Last edited by Samantha on Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonlady,

I suspect the locals in Veracruz use much more body language, and possibly regional, this would be a great discussion topic with an intermediate to advanced student!

The up down fingure thing is usually verbalized "eso eso eso" a la Chavo del 8.

Personally, I wish the taxi drivers in my town would pay more attention to the traffic and stop having so many sign language conversations with the other taxi drivers on the road. Here in Oaxaca, if the governement does collaspe, it will quickly be replaced by a taxi driver state, I swear they are more common then inscets these days...
TheLongWayHome

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Gallo wrote:
By the way, is it true it's rude to point your finger at someone in England?

Yes, it can be very rude.

My personal favourites are:

the one for 'scared/chicken' where you clutch your fingers and thumb together as if trying to catch a ball with the tips of them.

the one for 'que hueva' - palm almost flat out moving it gently up and down.

the one for 'codo' - pointing at your elbow.

'mochate' as mentioned.

I hate the one with the thumb and first finger to mean 'wait a minute'.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the one for 'que hueva' - palm almost flat out moving it gently up and down.

Similar to that, palm up, shaking it side to side as if rolling dice, meaning, you really need a good spanking. Not sexual...just to say that one needs a bit of correction for bad behaviour. I suppose it could easily follow the 'que hueva' sign.

Te pesan los huevos?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
thelmadatter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: minute Reply with quote

Yeah.. I cant figure out why the "wait a sec" sign pisses me off too. It just means "a little bit" for me.

I understand why the wagging finger could get misinterpreted but when I do to to mean "shame" its more of and up-and-down motion rather than side-to-side.

One that got a good chuckle from students was the first time I did my gesture for burp or heartburn, (make fist and touch center of chest with thumb)... looks like "pu�al" to them.

I put my pointer finger in my cheek to signify "innocent" but my BF (maybe ex BF, we'll find out) says that in Mexican sign languge this means "gay" No one's been able to confirm that for ma.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MO39

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican sign language, signaling and body talk - Reply with quote

Dragonlady wrote:

- man shaking woman's hand and scratching the palm of her hand with his middle finger - an invitation of a sexual nature (I hate this one Twisted Evil and it always happens when I least expect it)

Regards,
Dragonlady

That one's never happened to me, as far as I can remember. Thanks for the warning, though! Wink
rafomania

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one i find funny is where you put the tip of the middlefinger on top of the index finger and look through it. It means 'ojo' or 'hello, you are a bit weird'
its a teenager sign.
also find 'wait a munute' annoying, even though i have done it!!
El Gallo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't point at a rainbow - es mala suerte
Milenka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican sign language, signaling and body talk - Reply with quote

MO39 wrote:
Dragonlady wrote:

- man shaking woman's hand and scratching the palm of her hand with his middle finger - an invitation of a sexual nature (I hate this one Twisted Evil and it always happens when I least expect it)

Regards,
Dragonlady

That one's never happened to me, as far as I can remember. Thanks for the warning, though! Wink

That's never ever happened to me either. I mean, I know what it means and sometimes we'd play with that when growing up (like back in secundaria), but I can't think of anybody doing it to someone in an adult social setting. Not even adult BF-GF do it or think it's charming or romantic. Yuck.

I never heard that pointing at a rainbow would bring you bad luck. I think most of this stuff has a regional twist... the country is big and, like Jorge Ibarg�engoitia used to say, fuera del DF, todo es Cuautitl�n Wink
El Gallo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"- man shaking woman's hand and scratching the palm of her hand with his middle finger"

Oh gross! A male student in his twenties did this to me a couple of weeks ago and even though it was weird and disgusting, I wasn't sure what it meant - how do you say YIKES?

Anyone who does this to anyone else should be slapped in the face.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: