Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is this definition...............................
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arioch36

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you've said it well, it is not really money many people want, but security. How much money does that take?

I don't think many of us appreciate what poverty is, even those of us who have traveled enough to see it. Can you imagine the scen if we had a stock market crash and depression like the great depression. All of a sudden, 4,000 RMB in China would sound mighty good
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Chimera Reply with quote

Dear arioch36,
' . . . it is not really money many people want, but security. How much money does that take? "
More than there is or will ever be - security is a chimera, a mirage. It can never be attained - until, that is, one lies six feet under.
Regards,
John
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: money Reply with quote

Scott 47 was right about the grow bags in the Middle East.If you come here you'll meet some of the most frugal peasants on the planet.Watt Tyler would have had no problems recruiting an army in somewhere like Saudi.In the ME ,salaries start at around 25,000 pounds sterling and move upwards,(unless you're dumb enough to work for ELS or Berlitz),yet there are some/many who l brag about living on a dollar a day.Anyone who has ever been in a car sharing pool in the ME will tell you that there are people in these magical kingdoms whose mammonism has become more of a dysfunctional behaviouralism.I've seen grown men steal tea bags from the canteen and toilet paper from the lavs.I've seen people hide the car keys and report their colleagues to line managers and sponsors for things that happened outside work.I've seen people go to 5 star hotels to watch 2 football matches on satellite at the bar and not even buy a glass of water.The funniest I've seen was a man who bought a squash racket and then proceeded to borrow other people's because he didn't want to "wear his own one out."The upshot of all this.....as a tefl teacher there will come a time when you have to make a choice;leave the industry,go to the Middle East,win the lottery,breed like a rabbit and hope your kids like you,rob a bank,marry someone rich,murder a wealthy aunt or die destitute. For the grow bags on baby bio in the ME all I have to say is..you are very, very sad....enjoy yourselves and stay a bit longer.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: he is right Reply with quote

The anecdotes about teachers stealing teabags and toilet paper from work are not fabricated. I too have seen this. People can become so obsessed with money here that it becomes a form of derangement.
And one day they will have to leave. What happens to them then ? Are the insane asylums of the western world full of ex-EFL teachers from Saudi Arabia ?

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: I have my reservations Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
" Are the insane asylums of the western world full of ex-EFL teachers from Saudi Arabia ? "
A rhetorical question, no doubt. Since I'll be leaving in 88 days ( but who's counting? ), I've already made my reservation. It's an RRWV ( rubber room with a view ). Book now and avoid the rush.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: