Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

right of abode in UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magelarocque

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: right of abode in UK Reply with quote

Has anyone applied for/been granted this?
I just read about it yesterday and am trying to find all the info I can
Thanks
beachtime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: right of abode Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a Scottish Mother, and I have right of abode for over 30 years. At that time, it was very easy to get done in Canada. You needed your birth details, and those of the parent/grandparent. Once it is in your passport, each time you renew, you send your new passport, and your old passport to the Home Office in Liverpool.
I have been able to pass a similar status to my son, who is 25 and has spent 24 years in the UK.
My niece recently obtained her papers in Toronto, and used my Mother as the grandparent. I know her visa is only for a 5 year renewable, which is different to my son's, and to mine.
Good luck, and if you want more info, you can always PM me.
magelarocque

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: right of abode Reply with quote

thank you. From what I have read it seems still to be an easy enough process. I just need my mother's and my birth certificates I think. I will be applying soon and hope to be working and living in the UK by summer of 2010.
beachtime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: right of abode Reply with quote

Hi,
All you need to make sure is that you have all the original documents, and the ability to be very patient, and don't give up....based on your past experiences in Russia, this should be a piece of cake!
Let me know how you make out, and I will ask my niece for more information for you.
canadashirleyblue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Uk passport in Canada because my father was born in the UK. If you have someone on your paternal line of decent and you were born before 1982 you can do that. After 1982 you can claim British citizenship from either parent. At least that was the way it was the last time I looked at the forms a couple of years ago.

I had to produce my birth certificate, my father's birth certificate and my parent's marriage certificate. This had to be the LONG form (as did the birth certificates) so do not waste your money on the short form.

Also in most of the Canadian provinces you cannot obtain certificates which are not your own without written permission from the people they belong to.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this for my older daughter (now 15) when we were resident in Jeddah. It was easy. Expensive but worth it.

The younger one does not need it becasue she has had a British passport.
GDT

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got this. I'm Canadian with a British father.

It took about 5 business days, as the Web site promised. The only downfall was the absurdly high cost: $385!!!

But yup, all I needed was my dad's birth certificate, my long-form BC, and my passport.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I come into contact with the British form of bureaucracy I am amazed at how benign it is in comparison to the other forms I have encountered !

People in offices are actually polite and helpful. What is more they give out accurate information - even on the telephone !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: