Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Rent or Buy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meorbust

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:46 am    Post subject: To Rent or Buy Reply with quote

I can't decide rather to rent or buy a car. If I rent I don't get any money back in the end because I can't sell it, yet I don't have to worry about maintenance. Something breaks down, I only have to make a phone call!

Buying a car reverses the situation.

In case I choose to buy, can anyone tell me of any good car dealerships that will give me a good deal? I would consider purchasing an SUV, but would prefer a Sedan, Japanese, not American. Feel free to PM me.
millie18

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose to buy. The reason being that even for a small car (Aveo, Tiida, etc.) the rental runs about 1800QAR per month on a yearly lease. Buying a better smaller car (Corolla, Mazda 3, Honda Civic) should run you about 60,000 which will give you a warranty and if you bargain at the dealer, even some of the routine maintenance plus when you sell, you get some of your money back.

Insurance on such vehicles is not all that expensive and repairs (Heaven forbid Shocked ) are covered at the dealer for at least the first year.

I bought a 2 year old Japanese sedan - equivalent to a Honda Accord with less than 25000kms. I found it on Qatarliving.com. If you do buy used, buy from a "western" expat and visit the mechanic before you hand over any money. I think I got a very good deal, partly because he was leaving the country for good in 2 weeks - but primarily because the car was in nearly new condition (no kids or animals in the car and only used around Doha).

Hope that helps
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely buy unless your company or employer gives you a car. I shared a car for years (company) but eventually bought my own because sharing was a big hassle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: