Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladycutieuk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Help.... Reply with quote

Hello.

I am currently in my last year of my law degree in the UK - and i am thinking of moving to Australia to teach when i am older.

I just have a few questions. I have applied to do my PGCE in this country - is this the right step to take, qualify then go and teach out there. Or get qualified over there?

I have applied to do primary learning - is there many jobs out there for this kind of work?

I am looking forward to it but thinks it maybe a couple of years before i can actually do anything about it - as in most of the jobs you need 2 years experience don't you to actually get a job over there?

Andi just don't know where to start any advice or help will be much welcomed!!
Thanks
keitepai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I thought someone else more knowledgeable would reply but if you want my two cents worth.....
Do your PGCE before you come, you might change your mind about Australia and then you will have more options. It would be better for you to gain some experience teaching and to get some good references behind you before making a move.

I believe you can teach as a new graduate in Australia but you would have to check with the relevant state you wish to teach in.

Where in Australia are you thinking of going? If you be more specific you may get better answers.
austeacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is commonsense Ukcutie to hit the search button for some info. Experience comes with practice whether you are in the UK or Zanzibar. You asked this question before but it is a slight variation of the OP.

Do you really know what you want?

If you recall I also mentioned you are way better of studying the teaching of a Romance language if you want immediate work in Australia. If you choose to study the teaching of a Teutonic language in Australia, then consider yourself another slave to the welfare system; the dole queue is long enough in Australia as it stands.

Idea ask your local careers council office in your county
illegalme

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Secondary (yr7-12) English and Humanities teacher here in Melbourne, Australia (for those who remember me from almost 2 years ago, as you can see I decided to get certified first and get experience before taking the plunge overseas).

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter where you do your certification, the U.K and Australia both have well-regarded and almost universally accepted postgraduate teacher education courses.

But here are some pros and cons anyway to completing your course in Australia...

PROS
A major bonus is that you will be able to apply for jobs during the main recruitment season (which happens from September - December) while in your final year of teacher education. his means securing a job before you've even finished your course. You will also have local experience, familiarity with the curriculum and job contacts from your teaching practicum. These can often be invaluable to people who don't like hitting the ground running, so to speak.

CONS
he first of course is the cost, as an international student you will pay astronomical fees and the visa system can be a nightmare. Several of my friends from graduate school had to jump through a lot of expensive hoops to gain permission to teach after uni - even though they completed their course here. Yes, believe it or not, it is actually easier to get a visa if you are already qualified before you come over.

The job prospects are slightly weaker than the U.K. There are no shortage of primary school teachers (only some Secondary subjects have what could be called shortages) and as such there is competition for positions in major cities and you may have to do CRT (supply) teaching if you don't secure a position straight away. That said, I can't imagine you would be out of work for too long, but you may not be too happy having to pay off large debts acquired whilst studying on an unreliable and casual income stream.

Anyways, good luck with it all and take everything said here with a grain of salt and your own common sense!
austeacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadycutieUK is a troll. An ineffective one at best.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: