Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can my boyfriend visit me in Qatar?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raevon12

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Can my boyfriend visit me in Qatar? Reply with quote

Hi all,

As a bumbling newbie, I'm trying to figure my way around what you can and cannot get away with in Qatar as opposed to Saudi Arabia. I've heard that Qatar is relaxed, of course. But if my boyfriend were to visit me in Qatar, could he reasonably stay in my apartment without any problems? Would we have to worry about spies and raids from authorities?
millie18

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided your boyfriend holds the "right" passport (meaning he could get a visit visa without too much trouble) he would be able to enter the country as a tourist.

Staying with you for a few days or weeks probably wouldn't be a problem if you are discrete and even less of a problem if you are housed with other Westerners. However, another issue that may raise unwanted eyebrows/attention outside of your residence is if one of you is not the cookie cutter white westerner but probably won't cause problems unless you're into hot and heavy public displays of affection.

Where it can become a problem is if you have a nosy or vindictive GCC national neighbor who wants to cause trouble or if he is a long term visitor. The longer he stays the more likely it is someone is going to take notice and start asking questions.

I know of at least 2 people in the past 10 years who have been reported to the police for cohabiting without being married. They were arrested, jail terms commuted and deported.

Now having raised alarm bells - tell people who might be trouble that your brother is coming to visit, or just tell people that you are married and he has a job in another country - they won't ask to see the marriage certificate.

If he's staying long term and your employer provides accomodation (and would know you're not married) that can become another issue.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have boyfriends and girlfriends who come a visiting but you have to exercise caution. It all depends on where you live, in some places your neighbors or colleagues might report you (depend on the moral ground they take). If it's a short visit, not a major problem. If you live in a big apartment block, you can probably get away with it, in a smaller place you become too visible. Basically it all comes down to what kind of place you live in and who your neighbors are.
raevon12

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information is highly appreciated. It does sound as if a lot of caution and discretion is necessary. I can respect that. The only easy part will be for him getting a visa. It will probably be best for me to see the accommodation and, well, Qatar itself, before he visits. And no, I don't think we'd pass for brother and sister.

Thanks again guys.
millie18

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would he pass as your brother if you told people he was your father's son by his second, third or fourth wife? Laughing
jdl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Millie!
raevon12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cute. he's also a little older than me...what if I went with 'he's my adoptive father'?? ok. I'm annoying myself now.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is easy - get married.
NASA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very high risk if you work in an independent school or have to share your apartment. Some teachers get reported by neighbors or their apartment mate. You can get deported within 24 hours. It happened to a teacher at my school.
sacramento

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the scene like for those of us who have an alternative lifestyle?
I mean those of us who are like Elton. I've been with my partner for 6 years, could he visit me? Do people report people of the same gender living together? I had some problems in another place. The watchman in Jeddah used to report overnighters. Would the same happen here? Our watchman seems to sleep most of the time and doesn't notice who's coming or going. My partner is back in the States but wants to come for a visit - should I chance having him stay? I've met quite a few people who share my lifestyle, people from different universities and colleges here but I don't know much about their private life. Can I just say he's my cousin?
wilberforce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacramento, there are plenty of alternos around. Quite a few at the Gulag, CNAQ, QF, QU and the Aeronautical. Most keep a low low profile which is the best way to manage your lifestyle. Don't worry. I've been here for over 10 years and haven't heard of any problems for alternos. The straight cohabiters have more problems as they are sometimes send on their merry way. Just be discreet and don't be too open about your partner to anyone. A short visit shouldn't be a problem, but do find out what your neighbors think - NASA is correct. Nosy neighbors can be problematic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: