Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what is life like in Saudi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happeningthang

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: what is life like in Saudi? Reply with quote

Hey all

I'm finishing up my masters in Linguistics shortly, and am interested in some of the job offers for Saudi.

I've got a lot of questions, but primarily I'd like to know just what are my chances of getting gunned down in "secure" compounds? Especially after recent attacks, and UK embassy warnings - does anyone feel especially threatened? I'm guessing not because you're still there.

I don't even know enough to ask specific questions, but I was hoping someone could give me a personal insight to life there.

Ah, actually one specific quiestion I have is just what are the CALL/ IEL qualifications that some of the employers are asking for? I haven't heard of them before, and I get a wide variety of responses on google.

Thanks for the help

Cheers
ohman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Scot, Cleopatra--care to field this one in 500 words or less?
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "secure" compounds have proven to be the most dangerous places in the whole country.

I walk everywhere, have never lived on a compound, and don't feel in the least threatened. You're much more likely to be insutlted by a student you've failed than by an Islamic terrorist.

Things might change of course.

As for CALL qualifications I can't help you. I've run two CALL labs but have never heard of a recognized qualification. Experience would be more useful.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above post.

Getting killed in crazy Saudi traffic is a much much much stronger possibility than getting 'gunned down' in a 'secure compound' or anywhere else. The British - an other - governments have to be cautious so as to give the impression that they care about their citizns' welfare and can fall back on "Well - we did warn you" stuff should the shit hit hte fan (which, of course, it could).

Like Stephen, I too walked everywhere when I lived in KSA (and I left for personal reasons, not because of any 'threat' and may yet go back). The only problems I had were getting kerbcrawled by bored Saudi boys, tripping on the hem of my abaya and getting incessantly beeped at by taxis. I never enouctered any ill-will among the locals because of being foreign, though some people have had different experiences.

Your biggest challenge in KSA will be boredom, not terrorism. If you feel you can happily spend time without external entertainment, and a varied social life, KSA might be for you.
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never tripped on the hem of my Abaya. But I share the other two problems that Cleopatra mentioned. I too get beeped at by taxis on a regular basis. I have also been Kerbcrawled on a couple of occasions and I'm male!!!
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing, isn't it, DMB?

I used to go up to male colleagues with tales of woe about getting incessantly hassled on the streets, and add "Of course - that's something you don't have to deal with, being male!"

How wrong I was! Most of the foreign men I met have stores to tell of being quite blatantly prepositioned on the street by Saudi men. Seems like, if you're out strolling around alone, you are deemed to be 'up for it'.

Oh well, equal opportunites, I suppose?
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot to mention. I'm not in KSA. I'm in Qatar. I guess it's a" Gulf thing"
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right - it probably is a "Gulf thing".

I've hard that the Emirate of Kuwait is the 'sexual hjarrassment capital' of the Gulf - at least for women. Anyone agree?
Belmont

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: getting "cruised" Reply with quote

The "sexual harassment" is a blessing for some who would be totally ignored in their respective home countries. I say, be flattered and get it while you can! Laughing
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flattering? Hardly - I've been hassled when covered from head to toe (for all they knoew, there was a goat under all that black cloth!).

It's pretty harmless stuff, but it gets mighty tedious after a very short time.
guty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleo,
Ive heard some Gulf Arabs prefer goats anyway
Belmont

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: goats? Reply with quote

Cleo--You are right about the unwanted attention from the locals. I was being pretty silly with my above comments. When I was in Saudi I too was propositioned on a regular basis. I remember one guy waving a 500 SR note out the window of his car as he drove slowly past me strolling on the sidewalk. I used to love hearing the stories the nurses told about their shopping adventures and taking taxis....some pretty gross stuff, but nevertheless a great conversation topic at a party. Laughing
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we expect any real answer to such a broad question ? "How is life in Saudi Arabia ?" We could write books on that !

Some people have !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: