Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a book of Spanish grammar exercises in D.F.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsherter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Finding a book of Spanish grammar exercises in D.F. Reply with quote

Hi all,

Wondering if any of you have had luck purchasing work books of Spanish grammar exercises for English Speakers at any of the Eng. Lang. Bookstores in the D.F.?

If so - which?

Thanks
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in DF but I was just in Amate Books in Oaxaca City on Saturday and noticed they had a large selection--larger than in the past. They do mail order from their website.
lozwich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say American Bookstore should be able to help, but I can never remember the address. I think its Bolivar with Madero. If it isn't it's around that general area, and there are a lot of other bookstores nearby.

I have some that you might want to buy, what level are you?
dsherter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks both Reply with quote

for your specific and useful answers.

Lozwich I took classes YEARS ago in college and then used it, so I'm reviewing improperly memorized lessons...I think anything in the intermediate range should do it - I'm looking specifically for exercises in tense usage with an answer key, and all the garnishes associated with that plato fuerte.

Feel free to e-mail me directly in re: your items for sale at [email protected]
leslie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bye

Last edited by leslie on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
dsherter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Leslie! Thanks for the tip - I actually have access to Unam material through my roommate, and in addition - my grammar's shaky - I am going to purchase a book from Ms. Lozwich with the appropriate stuff.

Hope Tampico's keeping you warm and not excessively preoccupied!

Dominique
Orpheus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Finding a book of Spanish grammar exercises in D.F. Reply with quote

dsherter wrote:
Hi all,

Wondering if any of you have had luck purchasing work books of Spanish grammar exercises for English Speakers at any of the Eng. Lang. Bookstores in the D.F.?

If so - which?

Thanks

Are you able to order through Amazon? I have "The Ultimate Spanish Review and Practice" by Gordon and Stillman, and I'd say it's a pretty good review, but don't plan on actually learning anything from it. Amazon has it for $8.79 (US) and the shipping to Mexico is like $5.

Other than that, there's the Quia.com (the publishers of the textbook we use in my Spanish class) website that lets you buy access to their workbooks online, but you have to have consistent internet access if you want to get your money's worth out of it; it's like $65 for a year, I think.
Phil_K

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Just info Reply with quote

leslie wrote:
My Spanish-language teacher in Tampico bought her books at the UNAM in D.F., so maybe you could try there. They recently published a new one, but I can't remember the name. It's not strictly Spanish grammar, but rather a course book with a CD.

I did the complete "Pido la Palabra" course (5 books) which is produced by the UNAM, but in a formal one to one class. As well as having excellent grammar explanations, the text subjects are intelligent and often draw on real material.

Highly recommended!
dsherter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the excellent recommendations - I hope people keep making suggestions and we perhaps bump this thread up once in a while - seems like it might be of general use.

Let me again refer anyone reading this to my post regarding Spanish conversation - I just KNOW that with say, 2-5 people we could all benefit, have fun, chat in a civil yet animated fashion Very Happy and pump up mad Espanol skilz. I have enough room in my little "office" in Roma to host it, cookies and punch included.
gregd75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Grammar book recommendation Reply with quote

There is a very good grammar book, published by difusion. Its called;

Gram�tica b�sica del estudiante de espa�ol.

Difusion have their offices in Mexico City. The 'Grammar in use' books- for English have the same layout as this book.250 self contained Grammar units- you dont need to start at unit 1 and progress. you can pick and choose whatever grammar point you want to see.

The left hand page is an explanation of the grammar, and the right has plenty of practice exercises. The answers are in the back of the book.

I think this is a good grammar book to get your hands on.

I hope this helps
dsherter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg - great tip! I'll bet some other forum users will be happy to know that as well. At the risk of seeming terribly lazy - which is in fact the case - might you be able to suggest the best bookstore or website through which to buy it? You might save me a couple of exhausting googlings.

Again, thanks!
gregd75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe Very Happy

I wish I could! I live in beautiful Guadalajara (not nasty DF), and the only place I can get the book is at the International book fair when it comes here...

I'm sorry i don't know where to get it from in DF, but I promise you, its a good book to use!

Good luck
Phil_K

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The American Bookstore in Madero & Bolivar, downtown is always a good bet. They have a large language books section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: