Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kaohsiung vs. Taipei?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chi-chi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Kaohsiung vs. Taipei? Reply with quote

I just arrived in Kaohsiung (the 2nd biggest city) and it looks pretty freaky. Is it truly freaky or does it just look that way? And how does Taipei compare with Kaohsiung? I'm considering Taipei if anything falls through here, so just wondering...
gentle giant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Kaohsiung vs Taipei Reply with quote

I've lived in Kaohsiung for two years. The good thing about Kaohsiung is the cheap rent! I've heard that in Taipei you need 3-5 room mates just to make rent affordable!
gg

Last edited by gentle giant on Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
gentle giant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Kaohsiung vs Taipei Reply with quote

Why would you say it's freaky?
chi-chi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got here on a really smoggy day right before a rainstorm, and it looked like the whole place was about to explode or something! I don't know how to describe it.
I've been here for a couple of days now though and it's starting to look better...still kind of hard to breathe the air.
You're right about the rent though-I was able to get a 2 bedroom, 1 1/12 bath, 7 room apt. for about $200 US a month...nice.
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: How about jobs? Reply with quote

How about the quantity of EFL jobs and their average pay in Kaoshiung?
gentle giant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: smog Reply with quote

It's true, Kaohsiung might very well be one of the most polluted places in the world. The PSI rating?? is often above 100, and can get as high as 140. One hundred is considered unhealthy! You get used to it. The hardest thing for me has always been the heat, though. I wish we had Taipei's rain!
gg
gentle giant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: quality EFL jobs Reply with quote

I've only lived in Kaohsiung, so I can't compare. I imagine same as Taipei, ave. 600/hr. One particular advantage of Kaohsiung is it's proximity to Kending, but I imagine the beaches close to Taipei are pretty nice too.
gg
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: More, more! Reply with quote

Anybody else with info on Kaoshiung care to share? How about the public transportation, attitude of people, food, etc. Some people tell me there are a lot of differences from Taipei, but I've never been down there to see for myself.
chi-chi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no longer in Taiwan anymore, but in response to your question, there is no public transport outside of Taipei, and it is hard to find enough hours to sustain yourself outside of Taipei. Go to Taipei.
Chi-Chi
matchstick_man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

but there is public traqnsport outside of Taipei.....buses exist everywhere..there is nothing like the MRT outside of Taipei but it is possible to get around anywhere (Kaosiung is probably an exception as when I was last there it was wall to wall scooters).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: