Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vive TEFL Certification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icetrekker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Vive TEFL Certification Reply with quote

I'm currently looking at options for training and came across Vive: http://www.ukvivential.com/vive/VIVE%20Programmes-TEFL%20Certification.html

Has anyone trained with them? or any positive/negative feedback?

Cheers
Ian
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never trained with them, but here's what I know. They had money probs a couple of years ago. They don't have info abuot how many hours and how many practise teaching hours, should be 120 and 6 at least.

There's just too little info about them on their site. Go with another one, There are tons in CUSCO.
icetrekker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info naturegirl Smile and thank you for putting together a great website, loads of information to get through.
ghostdog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with Nature Girl on two points. This company's rep is bad -- they recently changed their name (from Britanico, I believe), never a good sign in my opinion. And any worthwhile course would last for at least 120 hours and provide the trainee teacher with at least six hours of classroom practice with actual students.

As to where to do the course, it depends on how long-term your objectives are. If you are only looking to teach for a year or two, and specifically in South America, it matters less about the certification as long as you're happy with the course. But if you're planning on doing this for awhile, I wouldn't spend money on a course which wasn't certified by either Cambridge ESOL or Trinity. They may or may not be better courses -- at least they do have outside assessors who come in for a couple of days of every course to certify things are up to scratch -- but they are the only providers who are genuinely recognized internationally, particularly by what are generally perceived as the better schools. If you are going to spend a fair bit of money, you might as well get something which will actually open doors for you in more places. In SA, however, they are less likely to care, so it depends on your long-term intentions.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were they Britanico? It's only in Lima. I know El Cultural was associated with ICPNA and broke off because they didn't want to pay the fee
ghostdog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Trujillo last spring and saw a poster for Britanico in a copy shop, so I noted the address and walked in a cv whilst I was in the neighbourhood (it's not far from El Cultural). They were putting the finishing touches on their new signage. The person I talked to said that they had changed their name from Britanico to UK Viviental but wasn't exactly forthcoming on the reason. Since I had already heard about their less than stellar reputation, I didn't really need much imagination to guess why.

What's the story with El Cultural and ICPNA? I'd wondered about the difference in the names since El Cultural portrays itself as a binational centre.
icetrekker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you ghostdog, at the moment it's just for a few years. I want to get decent training to start me of right and give me confidence to do a good job.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdog wrote:
I was in Trujillo last spring and saw a poster for Britanico in a copy shop, so I noted the address and walked in a cv whilst I was in the neighbourhood (it's not far from El Cultural). They were putting the finishing touches on their new signage. The person I talked to said that they had changed their name from Britanico to UK Viviental but wasn't exactly forthcoming on the reason. Since I had already heard about their less than stellar reputation, I didn't really need much imagination to guess why.

What's the story with El Cultural and ICPNA? I'd wondered about the difference in the names since El Cultural portrays itself as a binational centre.

Really? I've always known the VIVE cert to be with UK Viviental. I'm sure they were forced to change it because of Britanico in Lima.

About El Cultural, I heard that a couple years back they were part of ICPNA, but didn't want to pay the franchise fee, so broke off.

ghostdog, are there any good places to teach in Trujillo?
ghostdog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In short: not that I've found.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even the national or private university?
Kevin_NY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Britancia Trujillo Reply with quote

I stopped by there 2 years ago in person and there seemed to be alot of confusion about the program. I was not impressed at all...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: