Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet, Infrustructure, and the Like

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanderingD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Internet, Infrustructure, and the Like Reply with quote

Have been to Phnom Phen, liked it, and am now considering doing some teaching there. However, in addition to being a teacher I'm also a trader and would need to have a fast and reliable Internet connection--sometimes late into the night.

I know there are plenty of Internet cafes there, but how about getting it set up in either a house or a flat? Are fast connections available? Does the electricity regularly go out? And finally, how about security? Are break-ins a common problem? (Would hate to lose the laptop.)

Any input would be appreciated!
Elkythedogsperson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been over a year since I left Cambodia, but there are fast connections available in some areas, power does go out, and about break-ins, that depends on the neighborhood and apartment area. I had two very safe apartments when there.

A real good source for answers is at: http://www.khmer440.com/chat_forum/ .
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet connections in Cambodia can be a bit hit and miss. They can also be very expensive when compared to other places in the region, as most companies still charge by the mb download, rather than a flat rate. Prices are however coming down and speeds improving as more service providers enter the market.

The problem you will have is balancing cost with speed. The cheaper plans tend to offer free, unlimited download at night (often between 7.00 pm and 7.00am), which of course means that traffic is heaviest during these times and speeds can slow to a crawl. I also do some work online. I have a mobile CDMA modem from Excell (cost $25, but that was a promotional offer) plus $30 a month for unlimited download 24/7. Most of the time it is adequate, though evenings can sometimes be painfully slow. It usually speeds up again in the early hours of the morning. It is never blazing fast, but is acceptable for the mobile solution that I currently require. If you are planning to stay a while and will have your own apartment, look into the service offered by PPTV (the local cable TV operator). It is reportedly very fast. It costs $56 a month, though you will have to pay more for downloads which exceed their quota.

I didn't find the khmer440 site quoted above particularly helpful in choosing between the various internet options. Many of the expats in Phnom Penh seem to mostly use internet bars.

Most of the theft in Cambodia is opportunistic. If you are selective about where you live and take reasonable precautions, you shouldn't have any problem. Lock your notebook away out of sight when you are not using it - particularly in hotels and guesthouses.
WanderingD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both for the input. I couldn't find all that much about Internet hook-ups on that site either, although there is plenty of other useful info. I would definitely be getting an apartment, so I guess the key would be to find one with reliable electricity (especially late at night when I trade) as well as one where I'd be able to have that cable hook-up. Don't mind paying what it takes for a fast, consistent connection, though it sounds like it would be difficult finding a place where that was guaranteed.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackouts are at their most prevalent during the hot season - around March to May - when those who can afford them have their air conditioning units on overdrive. Look for places which either have their own generator (comparatively rare), or are located close to embassies, ministries, or the residences of local big-wigs (politicians, senior military and police etc). Another good bet are buildings with lots of businesses around, as the owners often bribe the power company not to cut them off. The place in which I am currently located hasn't had a power outage in over four months, and blackouts city-wide seem to be decreasing in both frequency and duration.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When selecting a place to live, remember to avoid flats or floors near the roof of a building. keep at least two or three storeys between you and the sun. -----Cambodia--try it and see. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: