Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PhD in Humanities
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original topic presented by Kittyfye..... As a former Director of mine noted,"There are two crucial criteria for expat employment in the ME: 1. You must speak English and 2. You can hide your insanity when required. With a PhD the rules on insanity are relaxed a tad".
kittyfye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, thanks, jdl.
~kfye
sheikh radlinrol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdl wrote:
Back to the original topic presented by Kittyfye..... As a former Director of mine noted,"There are two crucial criteria for expat employment in the ME: 1. You must speak English and 2. You can hide your insanity when required. With a PhD the rules on insanity are relaxed a tad".

I don't know, JDL. Some of my former colleagues didn't meet your boss's second requirement.
jdl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50% is a pass I guess. Mafi mushcala
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, for one, will NOT LET THIS THREAD DIE!!!

NCTBA
eha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right, NCTBA. Most of the silliness on this forum is of the malign persuasion (howdareyouhaveexperiencesthatcontradictmine; whatmakesyouthinkyoumightberightaboutanythingwhenI'malwaysright
abouteverything? etc) so it's nice to see a little sheer playfulness without the name-calling and the cyberbullying. Isn't it?
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sentiments exactly! kittyfye, WAKE UP!

NCTBA Very Happy
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temba wrote:
As a PhD with over 25 years of experience working in the Middle East I can tell you that it is a bit hit and miss. I have my PhD in philosophy and an MA in ELT when I have been in English Departments I was sometimes asked to teach a freshman English class, and when in a Philosophy department I was sometimes asked to teach on the Civilization Studies program. Both were OK, I always got enough graduate & undergraduate courses to keep me going. The real question is why the Middle East? If you are a serious academic outside of the American University of Beirut you will not exactly be teaching at a respected university, some of the new gulf universities with strong ties to American institutions might be acceptable but most are new and the reviews are mixed. There are also plenty to stay away from they are just mills. A lot depends on your discipline but you can pretty much forget conferences and research which whilst demanded are not really supported by most places. You also have to think that many of the universities require a leaching load of 12+ hours per week, so not much time for research in any case. The money is also not that great at best it compares with the low end of the scale for an American university. As I said AUB would be your best bet, and if you consider Turkey an option try METU it is the best university in Turkey and is a real research institution with very high standards and very supportive. If you go to their North Cyprus campus the housing is also great and the pay reasonable. For me I have given up on the Middle East I�m off to Europe in the Fall of 2009 it has taken me 5 hard years and 2 books to finally get a full professorship in a 2nd rate university, but once one has had ones cultural fill the Middle East doesn�t really have that much to offer, not even the big $ like the old days. Good luck, and think twice.

No research or presentation opportunities for PhD holders? I can't think of a bigger waste of having someone with a PhD, for both the university, and the PhD holder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: