Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I go to University in France, could I get a job?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: If I go to University in France, could I get a job? Reply with quote

I realize TEFT/ESL jobs are in short supply for non-EU members (I'm American) so that might not be an option at all, but if I were to go to school in Paris (grad school) could I find ANY work to support myself?

If not, or doubtful, how would I even begin to support myself?

PS this would have to be legal work, more than likely, as I couldnt run the risk of deportation if caught by immigration, since I wold already have a commitment to a university.
fancynan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a student visa you may legally work up to 20 hours a week in France. My friend did this and she worked in a cafe and later, after getting a TEFL certificate, taught French. No problem at all.
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fancynan wrote:
With a student visa you may legally work up to 20 hours a week in France. My friend did this and she worked in a cafe and later, after getting a TEFL certificate, taught French. No problem at all.

Realistically, how well can one live on 20 hrs a week in France? I know their work week is slightly shorter, 35 hours a week.

And, I read in an article ( http://matadorabroad.com/7-countries-where-graduate-school-is-a-fraction-of-us-costs/ ) that certain French Unis may be as cheap as 190 EURO a YEAR. Could this honestly be true?
fancynan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any idea how much the universities are. As to a livable wage, you should plan to have money when you come here. You won't earn enough to live comfortably. Plus you will probably have to share a place to live or live in a 10 sm room. AND getting a place to live in Paris can be a nightmare - landlords require tons of documentation and guarantees.
Nmarie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, you should check the appropriate government website regarding working on a student visa. I have heard that only students who have completed one year of studies in France are granted work permission, but laws change, and I have no updated knowledge.

I lasted only one year working 20 hrs/week on a student visa and went through much of my savings in the process. It is tough to support yourself working for private language schools, cancellations and vacations being real obstacles to your income. As Fancynan pointed out, you should definitely come with alternative income sources. Perhaps some of the chain schools (Wall Street, etc.) pay salary as opposed to hourly. A better idea is to apply to university lecteur positions - this will give you a completely different visa, and most lecteurs are graduate students as well. Highly competitive to land one of these posts, however.
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nmarie wrote:
First, you should check the appropriate government website regarding working on a student visa. I have heard that only students who have completed one year of studies in France are granted work permission, but laws change, and I have no updated knowledge.

I lasted only one year working 20 hrs/week on a student visa and went through much of my savings in the process. It is tough to support yourself working for private language schools, cancellations and vacations being real obstacles to your income. As Fancynan pointed out, you should definitely come with alternative income sources. Perhaps some of the chain schools (Wall Street, etc.) pay salary as opposed to hourly. A better idea is to apply to university lecteur positions - this will give you a completely different visa, and most lecteurs are graduate students as well. Highly competitive to land one of these posts, however.

I would likely be living in part off of a student loan, and, hopefully, still generating income with art/photography.
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im also having a hard time finding Unis with photography masters programs.

Does anyone know any or even any good search engines for such a thing?
clairec

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheJohnson wrote:

Hi there,

Follow this link to Paris VIII Master's degree in Photography and Multimedia, the only one I've heard of in Paris and maybe in France.
You also have loads of private schools but their entry fees are exhorbitant and you have no job garantee (they may not even be recognised by the Education Nationale).
http://www-artweb.univ-paris8.fr/photographie/accueil.php

University fees are fixed each year by the Minist�re de l'Enseignement sup�rieur et de la Recherche, at the moment they amount to 226 euros for master's degree programmes. (http://www.nouvelleuniversite.gouv.fr/droits-d-inscription-pour-la-rentree-universitaire-2008.html)

You will also have to take a language proficiency test.

The cost of living is appalling in Paris, especially housing. And salaries are low.

Good luck

Claire
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this post up for US teacher in Japan
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Bumping this post up for US teacher in Japan

What?
mesomorph

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="AdamtheJohnson"]
fancynan wrote:
French Unis may be as cheap as 190 EURO a YEAR. Could this honestly be true?

If it is a Master then yes.

If it is a Licence the price would probably be over 300 euro.

Uni's here are government owned so are cheaper.
mesomorph

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheJohnson wrote:

http://www.campusfrance.org/en/index.htm

course search

job info etc
Raindrops

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheJohnson wrote:

Ecole Louis-Lumi�re
http://www.ens-louis-lumiere.fr/en/formation/pre-professional-training/career-prospects.html

Supposed to be one of the best in EU, and the best in France.
AdamtheJohnson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those. I believe I will apply for several of those in the fall.

My main fear is still being able to properly support myself however. Is it possible to get much work in the hotel/tourism areas as an English speaker?
travelgurl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I am also planning to go to school in France in the fall and I am a bit nervous about making enough money too. My plan was to get an online teaching job and work at a language school in France too so I can work more than 20 hours. But I am having a bugger of a time finding an online school.
Also, does anyone know about French social security? My school brochure says that all students receive discounted French social security, but on one of the French consulate websites for the US it said that only students under 28 qualify for this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: