Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spanish police beat up students in Barcelona

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gusss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Spanish police beat up students in Barcelona Reply with quote

This is not an "anti police" thread.
Students were protesting the standardisation of their degrees, which in Spain will mean an extra year of studies (including those who started a three year degree and now find they have to find funds for another year )
There were videos on the news of police gathered round a fallen student and kicking him to bits .The media reporting it as clashes yet there is plenty of evidence to show the police acted extremely unprofessionally. Has anyone heard of this or have an opinion ?

Heres a youtube video taken by an onlooker which is a pretty shocking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQeEeAWAK8

apparently they also beat up several journalists, tourists, passers by and smashing a ten year old child in the face , this was on television yesterday :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORKbiVbNFAU

Are they going to get away with this ? In the past they could but now with the advent of mobile phones and cameras there is a lot evidence against them. If the Spanish govt doesn't prosecute them then can the European courts ?
Is Europe going to allow this kind of uncivilised behavior from police ? If this was videoed in the USA thered be an outcry.
ithos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I think thats common practice for police in many european countries, and I suppose all over the world.

Did anything happen to the cops in Greece last year? I can't remember the details of the incident but it was similar I think beating students.

Police in lots of continental europe are well known for this kind of thing, my guess is nothing major will come of it especially as there is nothing very shocking in the video.
Gusss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ithos wrote:
Sadly I think thats common practice for police in many european countries, and I suppose all over the world.

Did anything happen to the cops in Greece last year? I can't remember the details of the incident but it was similar I think beating students.

Police in lots of continental europe are well known for this kind of thing, my guess is nothing major will come of it especially as there is nothing very shocking in the video.

The Police in England make mistakes but are generally pretty good. Hippies always get beaten up - but Police in other European countries dont normally beat up journalists, tourists and children as well - on film.
Der_Bomber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gusss"]
ithos wrote:

The Police in England make mistakes but are generally pretty good. Hippies always get beaten up - but Police in other European countries dont normally beat up journalists, tourists and children as well - on film.

Thats a very old fashioned POV that went out of fashion as soon as De Menezes body hit the floor.

Probably a high profile case of police abusing their powers in a violent manner once a month here now, despite how much 'hushing up' the government do.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ukania is now a police state with a very high level of surveillance.
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hippies always get beaten up

LOL
JLS89

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin is an American student studying abroad in Barcelona. He is not a hippie, nor an ignorant, loud American.

He and his roommate were returning to their apartment late one night in Barcelona and 5 cops showed up out of nowhere, roughed them up, and arrested them. They brought them into jail and would not release them until they paid 50 euros. They refused to pay because they did not do anything. The cops then kept them until morning, and eventually let them go, but when they returned their wallets, they realized that the cops stole their drivers licenses.

When his university called the police station the next day, they said that there was no police action in that part of the city that night. When he and his friends went back to the police station, they found their drivers licenses on the side of the road.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were they real police then?
Sublime

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Were they real police then?

LOL2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: