Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Analyze this!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travelingman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Analyze this! Reply with quote

I am 56 years old. MBA from an Ivy Leage University in the States.

No Formal education in ESL --No Celta, no TEFL.

10 years owner of a Language Academy in Central America.

What may my chances be for in the UAE or maybe some other country in the Middle East?

I appreciate your candid comments. Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreade,

Chances for what?

Teaching TEFL?

Starting a language school?

Using your MBA?

It's hard to answer your question when no one knows what you are thinking about doing.

VS
Travelingman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Okay I'll Clarify Reply with quote

Embarassed You're right Veiledsentiments!

What I would like to do is teach TEFL. Perhaps with business as a focal point. ie. executives, business students at a University, or even just standard English.

What do you think? Will some of my strong points (MBA and director of a Language Academy, experience) compensate for my weak points (age, lack TEFL credials. Question
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:18 am    Post subject: To a degree Reply with quote

Dear wreade,
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I'd say that, without the proper qualifications (an MA in TESOL or Applied Linguistics) your chances of getting even a half-way decent TEFL job, especially in the UAE, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia or almost any other Mideast country, are somewhere between very slim and none. That part of the world, in my experience, is highly "degree-conscious", and it does have to be the "right degree". Your MBA from the Ivy League university certainly impresses me, but I very much doubt it'll open any TEFL doors in the Mideast.
Question: If it's money ( the Mideast) you're interested in, couldn't you do FAR better with your qualifications? And if it's not money, well, there are other parts of the globe (the Far East, for example) where I think you'd have a better chance for TEFL employment.
Regards,
John
Pat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not apply to teach business?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreade,

Like JohnS said, you would not be eligible for the majority of teaching jobs because of your lack of both an MA in something related to EFL teaching and your lack of classroom experience.

Plus most of the more reputable colleges and universities teaching business require PhD's. The high pay scale of the area means that they can usually require these credentials.

VS
Afra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HCT doesn't require a Ph.D. to teach business.
Travelingman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks Folks! Reply with quote

To all you have answered. I appreciate your candid reply and others that would like to contribute -- please do.

I, by the way, do have many years of teaching experience (ESL) as well as Spanish. I have even taught my teachers how to teach in the Academy I used to own.

I guess the best strategy for me, is to send out some CV to the Middle East and many more to the Far East.

I feel just as competent as the next guy but I don't have that piece of paper and I am not under 55. I'm not at the least upset about these being the rules, I just need to know how the game is played.

Again, thanks for the response. And if anyone else wants to weigh in -- I want enjoy reading your prespective. Very Happy Very Happy Wink
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wreade,

I can't help but wonder why you hadn't mentioned all those years of teaching before!! Have any other secret skills you haven't told us about?? Smile

Actually I would have mentioned HCT before, if you had admitted to all that classroom experience. Just in case you are not familiar with them, this is the Higher Colleges of Technology. They have a very informative website and I suggest you give it a visit.

This is one of the best Gulf employers as to pay and benefits though they have the usual bureaucratic downsides. But, you need to be able to provide them with a good CV to get employed. The MBA is good, but years of teaching experience makes it even better. I would definitely send them off an application - asap. They appreciate people who can teach across the curriculum. I taught both business and English there. If you want to get into more detail, feel free to pm me.

VS
Travelingman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: That's Great News! Reply with quote

Veiledsentiments

There is one more 'secret skill' I am a CPA. But, but, but, but there is my age -- I am 56.

This is my first post and as you can see I must expect everyone to be clairvoyant. I don't know why I just didn't put it all out there at once.

I am excited about what you mentioned and I will send my CV / R�sum� very soon.

Is there any way we can communicate 'off-line'. I have many questions if you have the time to answer them.

BTW you've made my day. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now you've also changed your name?? You do want to keep us guessing here don't you--- Smile Wreade has become Travelingman??

There are three buttons right at the bottom of the message box - the middle one says PM - which sends a private message to the writer of each message. They show up at the top of the opening page.

Give it a try -- and by the way, your age is probably not a major problem.

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: The Age Old Question Reply with quote

Dear veiledsentiments,
Well, I'm not so sure about age's probably not being a problem in the UAE.
I know of many very well-qualified, but older, gentlemen who tried to go from Saudi Arabia to the UAE but who were rejected (no reason given, of course).
Regards,
John
P.S. And, I might add that at the same time, younger, much less qualified gentlemen were accepted. By the way, I'm NOT one of those "older gentlemen".
Pat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of 56 year old people work at the HCT. If I understand the policy correctly, after the age of 60, medical check ups are an annual duty. I don't think 56 is a crisis for a relatively healthy person.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JohnS

Pat is right that age is not probably a factor as much at HCT as it might be other places. I remember on another thread that there was a discussion of the bias against long-term Saudi expats. (note I did not suggest that it was justified Smile ) HCT does not tend to be easily predictable in their hiring practices, but I do think that they may be interested in our name-changing original poster.

I also know quite a few people in their 50's who have been hired around the Emirates. Age may be a factor, but I don't think it is a major factor at the better places. (granting that I have been wrong a couple of times--- Shocked )

VS
Travelingman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Travelingman Reply with quote

Yeah.

Travelingman is more anonymous than wreade. If one day I want excercise my First Amendment Rights I can do so with woryying about
anyone really knowing who I am. Just those who read this post will.
I really appreciate your comments -- everyone. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Travelingman Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: