Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freebeacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia Reply with quote

Whichof these countries offers the most opportunities for native speaker teachers from the USA? Is a B.A. sufficient? I do not yet have any TEFL certificates.

Do any of you have links or suggestions for schools?

I emailed the embassy of each country in Washington last week asking about teaching English and never got a reply. Thanks.
briana74

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm Romanian. I've been living abroad for quite a while now, but if you have any specific questions about Romania, ask.
I think your best bet would be to contact different private language schools directly.
All the best!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fairly familiar with the market in Croatia - and I can say it's very small.
freebeacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both.
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

In Romania you have some international schools which pay well and generally treat you well. You can find all their names and details by Googling. A B.A. is a good start but a teaching certificate and some experience will help a lot as there aren't that many positions. You should start contacting them now (while there are still at school) for a September start.

Language schools pay much less and most are locally owned and probably won't get you legal papers or a contract. They'll give you some hours when they have classes which require a native speaker, but other times they'll have nothing for you. They are only really of interest to you if you want some extra hours, but they won't provide the support and secure income most people want.

There are a few training organisations who provide in-company classes to businesses but the situation with these is pretty much the same as for the private language schools mentioned in the paragraph above.

I'm less informed about the situation at universities, but I know in the past many of them employed a native speaker for some conversational classes. The guy I knew got a local salary and accommodation but that was about 3 or 4 years back.

The final option is to work freelance, which is what I do. There are plenty of cash-paying students around but if you can provide invoices and contracts you'll do much better. The work is ok, low stress, well-paid but it takes time to build up contacts and a reputation so it's not really the kind of thing a newbie to teaching or to the country should do, but something you could build up alongside a regular paying job.

All the best,
Mike
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Romania, you can try emailing schools. I got info from
the US embassy
school.ac
english-schools.org
eslbase.com
eslteachersboard.com

or contact places like
the BC
IH
Bell

I contacted about 30 and heard from 7.
freebeacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: