Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Westgate accomodation - any good?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boogiet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Westgate accomodation - any good? Reply with quote

So I'm looking at the ads on Daves about Westgate, and also on their site. They say they'll provide housing at 81000Y a month.
Has anyone lived there? Are they seperate apartments? Are they on or off campus? Can you bring people back to them?
Any pics?
Please send info...
BT
zorro (5!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Westgate teachers live in Leopalaces. Type in Leopalace on youtube and you'll be able to see a guided tour.

They're not on campus.

They're seperate apartments in an apartment block type thing.

You can bring whoever you like back with you.

Hope this helps.
boogiet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Wow! Reply with quote

That's small. Are there other apartments available for rent or are these the only 'affordable' things out there?
What would it be like in Tokyo?
Thanks!
seklarwia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its small, but I've seen worse. You should check around youtube for other apartments. I saw one where a girl had a kitchenette so close to her bed, she could use it as a side table.

Of course those willing to be bit further from shops or even public transport can find larger for a budget. If WG allows it, you'll probably be on your own for finding alternative housing (which if you are not already in Japan could be quite the task)

But then you get faced with the problem of being gaijin. There are many who can attest to landlords not wanting to rent to foreigners. I'd guess that many landlords would also have an issue with taking in such a short term renter (Not that that is any different in most of our countries). Then there is the dreaded key money!

Not really worth the cost or effort for such a short contract.
zorro (5!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they're pretty small, but Japan doesn't generally do big with living arrangements!

I'm totally speculating here, but I would say 90% of Westgaters live in a Leopalace apartment so you're pretty much guaranteed this.

As for the rent, if you wanted to pay for a different place yourself, you'd have to pay key money to the landlord, which is a non returnable gift. The set up costs in Japan are quite high so it's easier just to stay with the Westgate accom.

It's the same everywhere basically.
fat-elvis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a bit of a bump, but I youtubed "Leopalace" and came up with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXGMQLq1VCM.

is that a pretty typical size/layout for this kind of apartment? Or of an apartment an english teacher could expect in general? I ask because I was a bit surprised at the size and was expecting something smaller, actually.

Also, is a leopalace apartment something that requires key money?
seklarwia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about the same as many of the Leopalace places that teachers get put into. The size is normally similar although the layout can vary a little from place to place. I don't have that interesting chopping board thing. And some places have a loft area bed such as here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaY-bVXbSWo

There isn't key money but there can be some initial clean up charges, etc. and you may be asked to pay a couple of months rent up front to cover until you receive your first paycheck if you are a 1 year tenant. I'm not sure whether this is the case for the people doing 3 month westgate contracts.
passport220

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seklarwia wrote:
That's about the same as many of the Leopalace places that teachers get put into. The size is normally similar although the layout can vary a little from place to place. I don't have that interesting chopping board thing. And some places have a loft area bed such as here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaY-bVXbSWo

There isn't key money but there can be some initial clean up charges, etc. and you may be asked to pay a couple of months rent up front to cover until you receive your first paycheck if you are a 1 year tenant. I'm not sure whether this is the case for the people doing 3 month westgate contracts.
I stayed in a Westgate place. I agree with what everyone has said about it being similar/same to Leopalace. No up front deposit required at Westgate. They hold 50,000 yen from your 1st pay check and return it when u check out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: