Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in the new EU member states

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Working in the new EU member states Reply with quote

What's the situation with the new member states? I believe the joining date is set for May 2004. Will EU citizens have the right to live and seek employment in those state as of that date, or will the process take some time to come into effect?

BTW, here's a useful site outlining the proceedures for living or working in the current 15 member states:

http://citizens.eu.int/

Cheers,
Mike
daily chai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: thx for the site Reply with quote

Hey, I'm not sure what the answer to that question is, but thanks a lot for pointing out that great website!
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure, DC.

Incidently, in case anyone else looks at this posting, I think the answer to my own question is that most of the current members of the EU will introduce a waiting period of 2-7 years (varies from country to country) before the freedom of employment rule comes into effect.

Last I heard, the only two countries who are still willing to accept workers from the new states (and consequently their own citizens will allowed to work in the new member states) are the UK and Ireland, but both of those are apparently close to also introducing a waiting period.

Mike.
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation for the UK has recently changed as, with Ireland, it was due to allow full rights. Following a panic about this isolated position it is changing, but only insofar as it will take two years residence to qualify for unemployment benefits. If you have a job (or your own resources)there is no problem and immediate entry will be allowed.

The detailed situation is a bit uncertain at the moment, but that seems to be what is going to happen.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand the position each new member state will do things differently. Europe is NOT a federal union of states, but more like a loose confederation.

So don't expect Slovakia to do things the same way as Poland.

But things will generally speaking get more dificult for those who are not citizens of a EU member state.

Last edited by scot47 on Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
whhels22

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an American and I've been in Lithuania for the last 9 months. From what I have heard from employers the procedure is still the same for hiring Americans but it is now much easier to hire poeple from the UK.
lajzar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[brain f*rt deleted]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: