Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question on teaching in Taiwan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lorraine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Question on teaching in Taiwan Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone knows or has ever been placed by Andrew Lin? If so, can you recommend working for him?
Okami

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Why an agent? Reply with quote

Why do you need an agent? There are several forums/websites and newspapers advertising jobs.

If you're a normal person with a bachelor's degree. You should have no problem getting a job, especially with any of the big chains.

I just did an internet check for this joker and found him advertising this:

"Ba degree is preferred, but not a must!"

You have to have a BA to teach legally unless you're married to a Taiwanese with an open work permit/ARC.

You can also read feedback here at
http://www.eslcafe.com/jd2/index.cgi?read=125029

Try on your own at first, network through the hostel and figure out what you're going to do from there. Recruiters should be a last resort, unless you're completely hopeless.

CYA
Okami
mattcorkish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Hope its not too late... Reply with quote

I hope that this isn't too late but...DO NOT TRUST ANDREW LIN. I am not writing this because of a one off bad experience i had with him, but because of all the screw ups he has made with myself and at least eight other teachers i have met since moving to Taiwan. I have not heard one good thing about him. He will feed you lies about salaries, teaching hours, positions, accomodation, flights, special deals, and the list goes on. So far from conversations i have had, i have found out that he has not met any of his teachers at the airport as he said he would, leaving us all stranded in a foreign country trying to figure out how to get to the city he specifies when you eventually get hold of him. I have been lucky with the employers i was finally dumped upon, as they are extremely considerate and accomodating. This is rare though, as the latest Andrew Lin recruits have found out. They were told they had a job over here waiting for them, only to find out when they got here that they had to sit an interview which they then failed because they were up against a teacher with ten years experience, and have now been ditched by idiot Lin to sort themselves out!!
Right, sorry, i've had my rant. I hope you manage to find a good agent if that is the route you decide to take, although i agree with Okami that you should have no need for one. I was just a little unprepared and didnt ask enough questions. I dont want to put you off coming to Taiwan, as it is a fantastic place to live once you are settled. I know that many people have had good experiences with their agents, just not this particular one!
Good luck, and enjoy it over here.
Spammy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of Andrew Lin. My boyfriend and I came over through him this January. We checked the references he gave us and everyone seemed to be happy with his work. I don't know what they were thinking. We arrived and were promptly dumped in some tiny little backwater town with a very rundown hotel. Andrew did take us to a school, where we were told that they were only hiring one teacher (Andrew said there were positions for two). The people that owned that school were wonderful and did everything they could to help us, which was great as that was the last we ever saw of Andrew Lin. The school was not really for us, so we left for Taipei (we even called Andrew to let him know....he told us to come to Taichung). Before we even left Canada, we specified that we preferred to live in Taipei. After arriving in the big city, my boyfriend and I contracted food poisoning (fun fun fun!). Upon hearing this, good old Andrew set up some job interviews for us. That was a treat. The school took pity on us and let us stay in their dorm. Now it is the Chinese New Year and we are waiting for the holiday to pass so we can once again start looking for work. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of jobs here. Wish us luck! We've given Andrew Lin the boot! You should too.
squid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post deleted by author.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: