Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OFF TO LAOS - any suggestions on places to visit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canuckophile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: OFF TO LAOS - any suggestions on places to visit? Reply with quote

I got some good tips from this board on visiting Thailand - now I'm off to Laos in a few days. Thanks to all.

Any suggestions on places to go in Laos? (And this time, BTW, I'm a 55 year old female and I don't do drugs - so I don't need suggestions on either finding women or illegal substances. You can always post them, since some may be interested for future reference - I'm not trying to censor here!).

Thanks!
CANUCKOPHILE
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Luang Prabang Reply with quote

Luang Prabang (check my spelling) if you like a small town near the river with good food and local culture.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Plain of Jars

the crossing into Cambodia on the Mekong
Joachim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vientiane.

A lot of people think it's a disspointment, but I loved it, there is a definite sense of Paris there, and Lao coffee and croissants are amazing.

Have a good trip!
senor boogie woogie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Lao! Beautiful Lao! Reply with quote

Hola!

I have been to Laos twice and want to go back. It's an interesting, beautiful little country. The food is WONDERFUL. The state owned beer is called Lao Beer and it is very, very good.

I have been to Vientiane, Vang Vieng and Laung Prabang. Vientiane is OK for a day, if you are travelling with someone else, there is a nice beer garden type of place in the city. The city itsself is pretty much a town, so you will have no problem getting around. Rent a 50 CC motorbike for 5 USD a day and see the Mekong River and That Luang, the main temple in the city.

Vang Vieng (VV) is a village about 100 miles north of Vientiane. VV caters to foreigners and there are numerous restaurants and a few bars there. people go there to see the scenery, tube down the riiver, swim and toke up. VV is like a big summer camp at night, it is fun to go into a restaurant and watch a DVD with some fellow travellers, even though it is usually LOTR or American Pie.

The ride from VV to Laung Prabang (LP) is a long hard ride. It takes about 8 hours because of the rugged terrain. It is beautiful, but very mountainous, and you will get sick of the constant turns. The road is called Hwy 13, but 13 is basically a narrow strip of concrete, barely wide enough for two vehicles to pass. There is also rebel activity in the area and a soldier with an AK 47 will ride with you. On the way back, my bus saw a body in the middle of the road, he did not have any blood on him or anything, the dude was lying on his back passed out asleep. We did not stop. You will see poverty like you have never seen it, and I have lived in China for 3 years, plus growing up in the Delta of Mississippi USA. Grinding poverty. I feel sorry for the hill people, that they had to be born into that with no escape. This is what made me sad about laos was the poverty.

LP is a nice little town and is a UN world cultural area because of all the wats and temples. Like i said before, the food was delicious and I had Indian food one night. The mekong is right there. The women and children were beautiful. I could see myself operating a guest house, English school there. There is also a beautiful waterfall nearby. It was cool to have a smoke Cool and see it. A lady there also had a caged tiger.

Laos accepts US dollars, Thai Bhat and their currency, the kip, in that order. The largest Lao kip is 20,000, which is worth 2 USD. Expect to be sold a wad of 5,000 kip bills. Try to use USD and get change in USD, or at least a mix of USD and Lao, or if you are entering Thailand, get Bhat there.

Enjoy Laos, it is a nice place.

Senor
Micro67

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Kip Reply with quote

One suggestion is to make sure you get rid of all the Kip you have before leaving the country. If you don't you will be giving them away as gifts as no one will exchange them for you.

Laos is a beautiful place, please keep us posted.
Bunny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch where you walk. The country is amazing, but there are landmines everywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: