Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can anyone help please ...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shin12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: can anyone help please ... Reply with quote

Hi there peeps, Smile Smile Confused

I am now in Rome i arrived yday for 4 days , i am here to see if i can make some contacts with schools /people working here . i would really like to get a teaching job getting something starting soon would be great but i understand most schools recurit starting sept. Is there anyone working in a school at the moment that could ask for me i could meet up with you i would really really appreciate it. At this very moment i have a list of schools in rome so i am either thinking of pooping in with my cv or calling 1st to see if there are any vacancies. The only prob is finding them as they look so far apart. Can anyone help or give me some advice where to start , i would be so so thankful as only got today tommorow and sat if any schools open then. Thanks in advance Smile
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine that some of them are chains - you should be able to tell from your perusal of the yellow pages, so hit the central ones using shoe leather and public transport, and they will probably have contacts with some of the other more dispersed branches.

That's just common sense, maybe somebody with local knowledge will come along very soon, but not many post here. Or go to a local uni, look at the bulletin boards advertising native speaker lessons, and somebody might be nice enough to give a competitor some leads to schools with jobs (on the basis that they prefer the better paid private work ).

Or keep an eye out for down-at-heel Anglophones, they may well be teachers.Smile
shin12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that i will do have a list from the tefl course so may hit some of them . sorry but can you explian down-at-heel Anglophones. Isthat a place . thanks again Cool
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor people who speak English. Your first language is English Question
shin12

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i write on here i write in slang OK . THERE IS NO NEED TO BE SO RUDE.
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{sigh}

Down at heel - idiom meaning poor people - i.e. no money.

Anglophones - people who speak English.

Touchy aren't we?
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a place for slang / textspeak, but probably not on an English teachers' forum. If you don't know someone personally, but you want to ask them for advice, it makes sense to use standard English. It might not be fair, but to a certain extent you're going to be judged on your ability to teach English by your ability to write it correctly spelled and punctuated.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this forum isn't really the place for slang, for several reasons...
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
but to a certain extent you're going to be judged on your ability to teach English by your ability to write it correctly spelled and punctuated.

..and your knowledge of common idioms and vocabulary...

I must say, knowing a recent graduate from my old uni who has a degree in English, that you didn't go to anywhere of similar repute.
shin12

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are you guys are all serious ? I dont get it Crying or Very sad
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shin12 wrote:
why are you guys are all serious ? I dont get it Crying or Very sad

Obviously not.

I tried to be helpful in some of my posts, in other words I took your questions seriously. I may not be alone in thinking that you don't have a degree in English or perhaps you've drunk too much Frascati. Have a look at your own post quoted above and ask yourself what sort of impression it gives.
Tainan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's why some of us are being "serious"--because when you write the way you do what you are saying is this: This isn't important to me. You aren't important to me; the English language isn't important to me. I do not take it or you seriously enough to capitalize the first person singular pronoun, use a comma or a period once in a while, or stop to make sure my sentences make sense. But it goes beyond that. An educated speaker of English doesn't need to make an effort to put periods at the end of sentences; that sort of thing comes naturally to him. The fact that the way you write (presumably) comes naturally to you suggests that you regard real English as being somehow artificial, that if you were speaking proper English in class it would be by making an effort to do so, the way a non-native speaker would, and that whenever you relaxed a bit and let your guard down--say, in having casual conversation with students--you would relapse into slang. I'm really sorry to sound cross; you may be a wonderful person in many ways and perhaps on some levels you might be a good teacher; but a teacher of English should first be someone who actually loves and respects English, and someone who loved and respected English wouldn't write it the way you do.
napoleonspidgin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tainan wrote:
and someone who loved and respected English wouldn't write it the way you do.

[sigh]

Is this the part when you get your wooden ruler out and smack the poor kid on the wrist?

Every English teacher I've met uses proper English 100% of the time, especially when communicating with text messaging.

Considering the ubiquity of internet speak, and this being the internet medium, you could cut a new poster some slack for not realizing he would offend all of you (presumably) older English enthusiasts?

No you won't, because you are using this person as a scapegoat to rail against the general misuse of the English language.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No you won't, because you are using this person as a scapegoat to rail against the general misuse of the English language.

I don't think this is the case at all. I think everybody recognises that there are different forms of English - used in different contexts. But on a teachers' forum, you're not going to be taken very seriously if you don't use standard written English. Maybe this is because it reflects on your abilities as a teacher to use standard English. After all, in a real classroom you need to be able to teach standard English because this is what the schools demand, and what the students expect. The Italian public school system is geared up towards passing exams (all in standard English) and teachers need to help students prepare for those exams - whether or not that is considered an old fogeyish attitude is beside the point.

I think that it's also down to clarity. Standard English is a good variety of English to use when you're asking for specific advice - as it's pretty much understood among all English speakers. Text speak perhaps isn't understood so well, so it makes it less useful as a medium of communication on a forum.
Sheikh Inal Ovar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that anyone was kind enough in the first place to answer the questions of a person who began by saying 'Hi there peeps' ..

Had it been a staff room, the place would have emptied like a shot ..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: