Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Langagelink Moscow Reply with quote

Hi Kent-I gather they are good in Samara where you are and certainly better than another notorious school there which often adertises for staff,but in Moscow I can tell you from my personal investigations last year that they pay only around 500 u.s. per month salary and in fact the two teachers I spoke to said they were actually earning a bit less than that,based on the exchange rate used at the time!Furthermore,the classrooms were in an old,decrepid building which reminded me of the east end of London school shown in the film "lPease Sir!"They also said they shared an old appartment miles away from where they were teaching(with no washing machine etc!)-When I asked about giving a few private lessons to top-up their salary,they told me they had no time or energy to even think about it! The company director,a nice guy called Robert Jensky was very friendly and hospitable when I met him about 3 years ago,and I must admit I would have been tempted to work for him if I had been under the right circumstances,but sorry, not for that money!
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maruss - I think you'll find that Kent works for that "notorious School" in Samara.

In fact the original school broke into two parts when the partners disagreed.
One partner kept schools in Togliatti and Kazan, and the other kept Samara.

Recently they have been having a "trade war" as partner #1 decided to open in Samara again. From what I hear (and saw during the Summer) they are ripping down the adverts that each sticks on the lamp-posts.

But correct me if I'm wrong Kent. I always like to give accurate info.
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref Language Link - they are as good as any school in Moscow, and better than most, but you need to look at the whole package.

The Big 3 pay pretty much the same.
LL is trying to get their contracts legal and is trying to work within the new visa regs.
BKC/IH seem to use their vacancy ads as a recruitment vehicule for their Teacher 'Training' Courses
EF will have you running all over the city. They have more than 30 sites and you could be working in several on several days.

As has been said, you should negotiate before arriving.
Paid accomodation will save you from $650 a month near the city centre to $200 a month at the top or bottom of a metro line.
LL offer travel expenses and cheap international phone cards.
Find out abourt the work permit situation.
You can ONLY get a work permit BEFORE you arrive in Russia.
Recently the Mayor of Moscow was quoted as saying that 75% of foreigners were working illegally. And he is determined that he'll get them paying taxes
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogan,

Is a work permit something needed in addition to a visa? Is it possible to have a visa sponsered by someone other than one's employer?

Buck
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buck
The visa and the work permit are two very different animals.

The visa lets you enter and leave the country after a specific length of time. Many people have to hop on a train up to Tallin in Estonia every few months to renew their visa - Tallin is the closest city where UK citizens don't need a visa to enter and where they can renew their Russian entry (and exit) visas.

The work permit is your official authorisation to work and pay taxes. It means that you are registered legally.

Most lang schools don't bother with this at the moment. This is why you pay the "fine" when the milicia checks your papers. But they will soon have to do so.

Your visa is by invitation, usually from the place you will be working. If you quit working for them they can cancel the visa and you are up the river without a paddle when you try to leave. This has happened many times.
You can arrange your own invitation and visa and keep your independence.
Then if ever you have a disagreement with your employers you can quit and take private students.

Hope that helps.
Buck Turgidson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogan,

Very Happy "You can arrange your own invitation and visa and keep your independence."

Yes! That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Buck
bdbarnett1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: work permits Reply with quote

How can you arrange your own invitation if not from the prospective employer?
rogan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two ways of getting your own visa

1 Have a Russian provide you with an invitation. They have to collect the correct proforma from the correct authority and have it sent (usually by fax) to the Embassy that you will go to in order to collect (and pay for) your visa.

2 Use an agency. This costs you, but it is quick and easy. Take a look at www.expat.ru There are several agencies that arrange visa invitations.
rogan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, recent events have changed my views on LL a little.
Kira

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogan--

By all means, elucidate.

--Kira
If you prefer, you can write me via e-mail
maruss

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Language Link etc. Reply with quote

Rogan may well be right about this firm changing for the better,and I hope he is!But the point is,WHY go to Russia,put up with all the stress in Moscow,bad weather(it's still quite cold there even now!) and earn only around 500 or 600 u.s. per month??-You can earn 3 to 4 times that amount over there by working freelance,and believe you me,there is a lot of money around in Moscow-for this 10 days or so of Russian holidays,thousands of Russians have once again come here to Cyprus,mostly from Moscow,and I am sure they must all be earning a lot more than 500 u.s. per month to afford it!By no means are they all crooks or mafia types,but often quite decent and friendly couples and families. Can any one over there,Russian or otherwise,please enlighten me about the present situation in Moscow????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: