Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to find a job in France?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eurobaby

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:23 am    Post subject: How to find a job in France? Reply with quote

I'm desperate to live and work in France (any area, but pref. Strasbourg). I'm having a hard time finding any job listings.

[/b]Does anyone know of any websites, other forums, French job listings, English school listings in France... ANYTHING THAT MIGHT HELP ME? [/b]

(And yes, I'm both french speaking and an EU citizen). Thanks in advance for the help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Shaman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check les pages jaunes.

http://wf.pagesjaunes.fr/pb.cgi?lang=en

I had two responses before I went to Paris. After I arrived, I pounded the pavement. I had two interviews and two offers within a week. I never actually got around to the schools that had contacted me. Embarassed

Hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Shaman
lostinparis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are french speaking and an EU citizen, I agree with shaman - the easiest way is to just show up and pound the pavement.

you also didn't mention what your background is - i assume you're a native speaker, but do you have teaching experience, a TEFL or CELTA certificate, business experience, etc?

If you don't have any experience or qualifications, i suggest the French assistant program run by the Minist�re de l'Education Nationale: they hire americans, canadians, aussies, and new zealanders to work 12 hours a week in French public schools. I don't know what nationality you are (probably Canadian since you speak French and have EU citizenship?) but the French embassy that serves your country should have more details on their website. Info for Americans can be found at www.frenchculture.org Just look under "education." The assistant program, however, is from October - April, May, or June, depending on your assignment. I don't know if you are in hurry to leave but they are accepting applications NOW for this program.

The assistants have a website/forum set up to exchange information, etc. You may want to check it out, as there are people living in Strasbourg who may be able to help you locate specific schools. Website is www.assistantsinfrance.com

Also what are your salary expectations? Berlitz and Wall Street have branches in all of the major cities - including Strasbourg, but whether you really want to work for peanuts is up to you. Private language schools are better, but a lot of them aren't up on the web or have unsophisticated websites - its no wonder you can't find them. You won't be able to work in a state school unless you have formal French qualifications and diplomas.

Bonne chance!
rogan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: France for EU citizens Reply with quote

Also check www.anpe.fr

This is the French State Employment agency and lists all registered vacancies.

But you may need to register as unemployed.

An EU citizen can go through their own country's unemployment agency and have grants and travel costs paid to go and work in other countries. Just ask to see the European Advisor.
This will also allow you to claim unemployment benefit from your home country for a period of up to 3 months.
daily chai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx for the pointers, Rogan! I didn't know of that website.
ImaniOU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: But what if you're American? Reply with quote

I am 24-year-old American woman who has a BA in French and linguistics, a certificate from my university for TESOL and a CELTA from London. I have been teaching English for four years in the US and Taiwan. I have taught EFL to Taiwanese preschoolers (ages 3-6) at an English-immersion school, Grades 1 and 4 English language arts to advanced speakers, and ESL to teenagers and adults, as well as private TOEFL prep to university students both in the US and Taiwan. I have lots of experience and am fluent in French (although it takes me a day or two to get back into it when I visit France because I usually speak English and Mandarin on a day-to-day basis). I lived and studied in France five years ago in Tours and have been told that I have a tourangelle accent when I speak (by Parisians no less!). In addition to English (my native tongue) and French, I speak Mandarin (intermediate), German (basic), and Spanish (basic).

At any rate, I have qualifications for and experience in teaching English to non-native speakers, and while I prefer to teach children, especially elementary school-aged ones, adults are fine as long as it's not business English (which I know is the big market in France). I currently live in Taiwan, but I want to move to France at the end of the coming school year (the 2004-2005 school year, my 5th year of teaching English). What are my chances of getting a job in France despite my biggest handicap (not having an EU passport)? What can I do to boost my chances of landing a job teaching children?
Shaman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ImaniOU.

The work permit is not impossible, but it might be the next thing to it. I taught with Americans who didn't have dual citizenship, but I think there were special circumstances (ie. married to a French national). Be prepared to do a lot of hoop-jumping. Even those who hold EU citizenship have difficulties dealing with the bright and sunny civil servants at the prefecture. Rolling Eyes

Teaching in the state system you need the CAPES. From what I understand, external quals are not recognized. The test is done entirely in French.

Anyone else?

Good Luck.

Shaman
lostinparis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaman - i like the new kitty. you still thinking about coming back to france in the near future?

imaniou - see my other post in the france forum under "recruiting time of year" for more info on working in france if you're american. also note that if you are a student at an official university (and not a language school), you are also eligible to work up to 19.5 hours per week on a student visa. i've heard quite a few foreigners actually enroll in a university program (around 300 euros a year) just to get the right to work in france. once they're in and they have their official papers to work, they never actually go back to classes. Shocked
Shaman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostinparis wrote:
shaman - i like the new kitty. you still thinking about coming back to france in the near future?

Merci a vous, Perdu a Paris. Smile

I've got a couple of lucrative biz projects on the table at the moment. I'm going to see where they lead. A ce moment, qui peut dire? Jamais dites jamais. Smile

Under the shadow of Sacre Coeur? *Sigh* One of my favourite spots. I lived under the shadow of Pere Lachaise. Wink

Shaman
Littlebird

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: How can I get a job in France ? Reply with quote

Pity there isn't an assistant program in France for British people. I really want to live and work in France but my spoken French is not good, I read French much better.
rogan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: working in La Belle France Reply with quote

The following addresses could be useful for people seeking employment opportunities in France

However if you are non EU and non French speaking then your opportunities are SEVERELY LIMITED

Note THE AUTHOR ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR BROKEN LINKS NOR DOES HE GIVE ANY PERSONAL RECOMMENDATION

ADD www before each address

.anpe.fr
.apec.assoc.fr
.atoutjob.com.free.fr
.ressources-web.com
jobeurope.net
emploi.org
emploi-services.com
forums-emplois.com
emploinet.com
.reseau.org/emploi
.recrut.com
.optioncarriere.com
lerucher.com
.free.fr
jobpilot.fr
.net-work.fr
cadremploi.tm.fr
cyberworkers.org
jobsesame.com
qualisteam.com
keljob.com

EMPLOYMENT SITES

Cybersearch.fr
Jobandco.com
Citeweb.net/action-emploi/
Webcity.fr/emploi
Contactjob.net
Ciblempoi.com
Tele-mail.net
Contact-emploi.com
Jobs.fr
Go.tm.fr
Emploiweb.com
e-go.fr
clobe.com
ecritel.net
jobplus.net
infowebplus.com/emplois/indew.htm
demain.fr
activae-emploi.fr
annonces-carrieres.com
webcible.com
Shaman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that is a comprehensive list. Cool

Shaman
Littlebird

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: How can I get a job in France ? Reply with quote

Cheers Rogan

I thought it was obvious I was British since I was bemoaning the lack of Assistant Programs for the British.
julieoapw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: British assistants Reply with quote

But there is a programme for British assistants. It's run by the British Council (see their website). Many but not all of those who go on it do it as their year abroad but they also take graduates. I spent a year in La Rochelle on this programme.
Hope that helps
Julie
julieoapw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: British Council Assistant scheme Reply with quote

Here is the web site for the British Council Assistant scheme:
http://www2.britishcouncil.org/languageassistants.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: