Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FAQ for Argentina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: FAQ for Argentina Reply with quote

I thought it might be nice to make a FAQ for countries in Latin America. Here are some questions people ask me about Peru, if you know about the country you're living, could you answer the questions.

FAQ for Latin America
Country
Can people contact you if they have questions? If so, please type your email.
Time you�ve spent in country

Money
How much is the average pay per hour for private classes in the capital? In the provinces?
How much is the average pay per hour for institutes in the capital? In the provinces?
What are some things that you should bring with you because they�re expensive or hard to find?
How much is an unfurnished, one bedroom apartment in the capital? In the provinces?
About how much money do you need a month?
Other information:

Visas
How much time is given for tourist visas?
Are they extendable? For how long? How many times can you get an extension?
Can you border hop and be given more time when you re-enter the country? How much time are you given? How much time do you have to spend out of the country before you can re-enter?
Is it possible to find work on a tourist visa?
What documents do you need in order to get a working visa?
What other visas can be used to work legally? How do you get them?
Do most institutes help with visas?
Other information:

Jobs

What are some of the best websites to find teaching jobs?
What are some of the popular cities to teach English in?
Is a TEFL cert necessary?
Is a bachelor�s degree necessary?
Is it necessary to be a native speaker?
Are split shifts common?
What are some good institutes to work at in the capital? In the provinces?
What are some good bilingual schools to work at in the capital? In the provinces?
What are the requirements to work in a bilingual (not international) school?
Is it easy to arrange a job beforehand?
Other information:

Misc.

Other information:
laranylander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: thanks and another question Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you so much for all of your helpful information about teaching and living in Argentina! I've been reading through this forum and it seems that you have spent a lot time and effort helping people navigate through the maze of working in Argentina.
I wanted to ask you if you know anything about teaching English in a public or private school. I have a teaching credential from the US and I have a lot of teaching experience. Any information you have will be a huge help!

Thank you,

Lara
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about teaching in intl schools, I just sent you a PM. For the record, I've never taught in Arg, Just Peru , Korea and China.
laranylander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Hi,

Thank you for the info on international schools! Smile

Lara
schern19

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

The questions you have posted are exactly the ones I have been wanting to ask. If you have any information regarding Argentina can you please let me know.

I am interested in teaching there for many reasons. I am part Argentinan and I know that I can also get my Argentinan citizenship which I'm not even sure is so beneficial. I have family that lives in B.A. which is a plus.

The only thing I am worried about is the pay and if I would be able to live and somewhat save and travel with it. Do you you know if any benefits are offered with a job there?
jooooooey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get benefits in the public schools, I think being a citizen would help a lot for that type of job because you won't need a visa. They make about 1500 pesos a month, which isn't all that much. According to this:

According to this http://baexpats.org/culture/4303-public-state-school-teachers-salaries-ba.html

You would probably do better at some private or international schools, and I'm sure a lot of them have benefits, but I don't know much about them. Someone else should be able to answer these questions better, but I thought I would post something.
irwin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you be able to recommend a good institute for me in Peru? Which cities are you familiar with? i am currently living in San Juan, Argentina but want to leave the desert and opt for the forest. I would prefer not to live in Lima, or one of the larger cities but I will take what I can get. It appears to me that the problem is not finding an institute; but finding a decent one. In San Juan there are 8 or 9 but many of them appear to be very shady. Thank you!
NWBen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Here's a list of schools in Peru Reply with quote

The woman who compiled it lived and taught in Peru for several years.

http://thelajoblist.blogspot.com/2009/12/peru.html

Here's her guide to working in Peru.
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=59481
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: